How to fix tension on a finished intarsia project?

I’ve been knitting this Mario blanket for quite a while now and I’m finished.
Here’s the post if you want to see more: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108155

The problem is that my intarsia was way too tight and some of the pictures, like the cloud, are wavy.
And places on the bricks on the bottom where I have one color for one stitch, one for the next, etc. The individual colors are waaay too tight in some places and they’re sunken in.

Also the stitches of the background bend in towards the edges of each picture. I’m fine with it if that can’t be helped much, though.

Thank you so much if you can help me :slight_smile:

What kind of yarn did you use? Acrylic can be blocked, but it may not change it enough. Wool may block better.

You can’t always block out that type of thing completely though unfortunately. :shrug:

After all that work and I think you said it took you years! If it’s acrylic just washing and drying might help some. If you block acrylic be careful not to kill the yarn. Overheating/steaming can take out the bounce/fluff/stretch. It looks dead. I hope my explanation of killing the yarn is correct, if not I trust someone will let us know.

Yes, blocking, especially for wool may help even out the sts and it won’t hurt. For the next blanket, stretch out the sts on the right needle a bit as you knit so that the floats are lengthened and don’t pull.
Truthfully, the blanket is so beautiful, it’s still a remarkably successful project and more than one lesson learned.

All the yarn is either acrylic or cotton. I’m against using wool because of the practice of mulesing used on large scale farms in Australia. Sometimes wool is more convenient, but I’m not the one getting skin chopped off of my back with no painkillers. I love sheepies. Especially lambs. They are so cute :slight_smile:

Anywho:
I’m not sure about blocking it until I’m finished. I know that the heat will allow the fabric to stretch a little, but I know it kind of finalizes the result, too.
I can’t wash it or it will totally fall apart.

Methods I’ve tried:

1. tugging at the yarn in the back. for areas that aren’t so tight, it helps.
  2. Taking a blunt yarn needle and pulling at both sides of an individual stitch gently. It works, but sometimes it goes back to normal.
  3. cutting yarn that is trailed along the back. It has helped, but I know I can reallly screw up that way, and I spent a long time on that thing!

I’m thinking that after I sew up the holes and fix the weird stitches by sewing false stitches with yarn, I will block it and that will probably help.
Do I need a press cloth to block acrylic?

You can steam acrylic without killing it, but you need to be very careful. Personally I probably wouldn’t use the iron, but if you do use a cloth and do not touch it to the fabric. At least that is my understanding. Here’s some info on blocking acrylic that she says is permanent. I’ve yet to try it, but I want to.