How to do this?

Next row: Increase 22 sts evenly across next row.
Starting with a purl row, work in stocking stitch for nine rows.

^^ that’s the next step in my pattern, i don’t quite understand it. i’m watching videos on how to increase stitches right now but im not sure if it connects with the second sentence

oh there are so many different ways to increase i don’t know what to choose!

Most any increase will work. Is this right after a border on a sweater or something? I often just use a simple backward loop increase at that point on a sweater if I need more stitches.

Next row: Increase 22 sts evenly across next row.
Starting with a purl row, work in stocking stitch for nine rows.

So you have done whatever it tells you to do to this point. On the next row work across however you have been working but on that row add in 22 more stitches. Then on the following row after that begin stocking stitch doing the first row as a purl row and then the knit row. Possibly the reverse st st side will be the outside of whatever it is or maybe the st st side will be and they are just getting you oriented so that a certain side of the border is on the outside.

In case you are interested here is a site that calculates how to space increases evenly for you.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/IncreaseEvenlySpace.html

Increases don’t have to be spaced absolutely perfectly in these cases so don’t stress about it too much.

i figured out how to increase, it’s REALLY easy haha, i did the backwards loop thing.
i don’t know what stockinette or “Possibly the reverse st st side will be the outside of whatever it is or maybe the st st side will be and they are just getting you oriented so that a certain side of the border is on the outside.” <-- what that means?

also, this is for a beret, not a sweater. :slight_smile:

gah sorry for all my double posts. so is a stockinette stitch just… knit a row, purl a row, knit a row, purl a row?
edit;
AGH when i increased stitches i counted and was supposed to end up with 70 and i have 94!! what am i doing wrong? :’( ughhhh

Yes. When knitting flat, stockinette stitch (or stocking stitch) or st st is: knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row. So when it says to work in stockinette stitch for 9 rows, starting with a purl row, do one full row each of purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl.

The row before it (the one with the increases) was probably a knit row.

The knit side is usually the outside of the garment, but sometimes patterns will have you do it backwards for a few rows (reverse stockinette).

thank you :slight_smile:

so does anyone know if im right in thinking i should have 70 stitches when i increase? how come i got 94? :frowning:

Did you start with 48 sts? That plus 22 would be 70. Here’s what might help: Divide the 48 sts into 8 sections with stitch markers (little rings which slide over the needle. But if you don’t have any, you can use little lengths of a contrasting yarn, tied with a knot ti make a small loop). Each section will have 6 sts in it. When you do the increases, you should make 3 new stitches in 6 of the 8 sections, and make 2 new sts in the other 2 of the 8 sections. It’s easier to see if and where you go wrong if you do it this way.

Oh, and here’s a way to tell if you’re doing stockinette st (sometimes called stocking st): You’ll have Vs on one side and purl bumps on the other side. If you’re knitting flat, you get this by knitting one row, then purling one row, alternating back and forth. If you’re knitting in the round, on dpns or circulars, you knit every row to do this.

yeah i did start with 48 and i think i counted wrong but your way of doing it sounds so much easier. :slight_smile: i will try it! i have some different coloured wool to use. thanks so much!