How to do kitchener stitch with this dishcloth

I’ve just finished making this round dishcloth, where is says to knit the beginning and end together using kitchener stitch :

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]"This forms one wedge. Knit either five or six more, depending on your yarn, until the cloth can be formed into a circle. You can either seam the two edges or do the garter stitch kitchener join. This is simply kitchener stitch, with the back needle worked the same as the front needle. You can use kitchener with both cast ons; I’m experimenting to see which works best. "[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]The actual link and image is here http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/round.html[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Verdana]I watched Amy’s video on how to do a kitchener stitch. The problem is, she did it with the work on two seperate needles. On my round dishcloth, I am supposed to join the beginning end, which is the cast on end, and the finishing end, which is on the last row (not binded off) on the needle. I’m not sure how to do this when I have only one needle in the work.[/FONT][/FONT]

Namwan,

You got it all knitted! Good for you. Did you kitchener stitch each of the wedges together as you went and have it all in a circle now except the final join of the last wedge?

You can’t kitchener stitch unless you have live stitches, so you can’t kitchener stitch to the cast-on edge. You could possibly run a needle through loops on the cast-on edge and use those as live stitches and kitchener stitch it. But I don’t know if that will work or not. Kitchener stitch is kind of like just knitting something together using the tapestry needle to do the knitting. It could be that any edge you picked up like that would ruin the continuity of the “knitting”, and it wouldn’t be smooth. You will probably just have to sew this final seam.

Way back at the beginning you could have used a provisional cast-on and then picked up the live stitches to do the kitchener, but that doesn’t help you now. Sorry.

You should be able to sew a nice seam that will finish it off well though. Let us know how it comes out. Merigold

Hi Merigold!

No I didn’t kitchener stitch each of the wedges together, since they were all connected to each other. Does this website have a video on sewing the final seam? I’m not sure how to do it.

Thanks,

Namwan

Oh, I get it. I’ll glad you didn’t have to sew each wedge together, that would have been a pain. That is what I thought it was saying to do, but I see it wasn’t. I don’t know if there is a video for the sewing but their may be. I would probably bind off that last row and then sew the seams. Look for seaming in knitting either here or as a Google search and you should find something that will work for you.