How to Convert from Double Knit to 4ply

I have a double knit babies pattern which my daughter wants me to knit for her little one in 4ply. Is there any way I can convert it for the thinner wool?

If you have a link and name for the pattern that would help. Gauge is more important than plys. What is the gauge/tension of the two yarns?

Here’s an interesting article on plys and why it really doesn’t work well when figuring modern yarns and patterns.
http://www.purlbee.com/2-ply-4-ply-why-ply/

Make a larger size using smaller needles. Which size that is you’ll have to determine by knitting the yarn with the needles to figure out your sts/inch. Then take that times the chest measurement you want and see which pattern size is close in that number of sts for back and front. Adjust for length, though if it’s a little big, the baby will be able to wear it longer. I always make/buy 6 mo size for a newborn, and 9-12 month for an older baby anyway. The 4ply/fingering is about half the size of DK, so you could also just double the sts and rows for the pattern size you want.

Jan in some countries, they still use the ply system for yarn weights. A 4 ply is about the same as fingering weight. Here’s another article.

Thanks Suzeeq. As far as I can determine our yarns & needle sizes are the same as in the UK. I will knit a swatch using your advice & let you know the outcome. I could scan the pattern & post it but am not sure if it will be considered a copyright infrindgement.

I could scan the pattern & post it but am not sure if it will be considered a copyright infrindgement.

It is. It’s okay to post a few rows if you’re having a problem in one area, but not the whole thing.