How to avoid pointy toes in socks

Hi,
I’m new to this website and have been knitting socks for quite some time. I’ve recently switched to knitting them on 2 circular needles (one sock at a time). I’m wondering if anyone has a solution to pointy toes, as I prefer nice round toes. I like using the Kitchener stitch to finish off the toe. Thanks for your help. LKO

Hello, and welcome to knittinghelp.com !! :waving:

There was another recent post discussing the same topic - I wrote out what works for me and it can be found in this post.

Good luck!!

xxx

I switched to doing toe-up socks to solve that problem. I use Judy’s Magic Cast On and stop as soon as I’ve got one row knitted…then the “toe” I continue with is from Widdershins. I try to do this toe for all my socks b/c it came out so nice and rounded. I also do my socks 2 at a time on 2 circs–or Magic Loop–even though this pattern is written for dpns.

Good Luck!

My wide feet don’t like those pointy toes either.

If you’re kitchenering the toe, it sounds like you’re going top down, but it’s unclear whether you’re doing a short row toe or just decreasing and then seaming up the end. If the latter, you might want to take a look at Joan’s toe, here. She adjusts her rate of decreasing to make the toe less pointy. (There’s also a star toe further down the page – I think that’s also not-so-pointy.) If you’re using short rows, just don’t do as many, e.g., if you usually go down half the width, try going down just a third so it doesn’t get so narrow – remember to start your short rowing a little later to make up for the shorter toe length.

The “Joan’s Toe” that janelanespaintbrush linked is my absolute favorite!