**How should I include the CC for this hat?**

Hi :slight_smile:

I'm attempting this [skull and crossbones hat](http://www.helloyarn.com/wecallthempirates.pdf).  Please keep in mind that I have never made this sort of hat, knitted in the round or knitted fair isle.  I'm keeping my row straight and knitted the first row and purled the second with my MC, black.  How do I add the CC?  Should I just keep a strand in hand as the video shows for fair isle?  I'm also using a chart for the first time.  ANY advice would be helpful :)

Because the pattern is all around the hat, you would use the stranded technique for it.

When you get to where you have to start with the contrasting color, just start knitting with it. You can leave the black where it is for that first round of white since you won’t need it and you’ll end up back there.

Every row of the chart is read from right to left since you’re working in the round. The main thing to watch out for is to try to avoid puckering when you switch colors. Stretch the stitches out on your right needle when you change colors to make the float nice and relaxed. Try not to twist the yarns. Keep one above the other as you go and you won’t have to worry about untangling anything.

When I mean ‘one above the other,’ it should look like this on the back
_________________________mc
[COLOR=silver]_________________________cc[/COLOR]

You rock and are always so helpful. Your explanation made perfect sense. I appreciate it.

This is the first time I’m using my knit picks and I’ve never used one so small (I’m using size 4 US instead of 3 US)…the stitches kept slipping off at first so that’s been a big obstacle so far…sigh