How old were you when you learned to knit?

I am considering teaching my Daughter to knit. She is 8 years old and I think she has my talent for learning crafts easily. I will eventually teach her to crochet too but I think that I should start out with knitting. Do you all think she is old enough? How old were you when you started? I was 30 so I have no idea how to teach her. I think I may start out with a simple scarf, I don’t know the pattern yet but I think that would be the best project to start out with. Wow am I rambling. (Can you tell I’m nervous about doing this right? LOL!) Any suggestions you could throw my way would be wonderful. Or if you have been there and have some tips for me I would love to hear them! Thanks, Folks!
Amy N:knitting:

Umm…I was 52…:shifty:

:roflhard:

I think 8 is old enough. I taught my niece (although now at 12 she’s not much interested in it) and she picked it up pretty quickly. I gave her some of those cute needles with kitties on the ends…about size 8 I think, and some yarn. I CO for her and then showed her what to do. One thing… you can try teaching her the method you use (continental or english), but if she’s having a hard time you can tell her there is another way to hold the yarn and see which works best for her.

ETA: Here’s some books that might help…they might make her want to learn so she can make something!
Kids Knitting (projects for kids of all ages)
Knitting (kids can do it)
Kids Easy Knitting Projects

I was in my 20s when I started knitting. I taught my nephew who was 10 to knit. He really enjoyed it.

I don’t think it would hurt to try to teach her to knit if she shows an interest in it. A garter stitch scarf would be a good project. But maybe something a little smaller so it doesn’t seem so daunting. Maybe just a garter-stitch wrist band. Or a skirt or something she could create for a doll or a favorite stuffed animal.

Good luck!
AJ

Only teach her if she wants to learn. A simple scarf in garter may be the best thing to start with. I think larger needles like size 10 may be better; easier for her to see the stitches, also use light weight yarn. They have shorter needles for kids that are about 7 or 8 inches long, those might be easier for her to handle than 10" ones or circs.

I taught myself at 14 out of a little booklet, using my brother’s sharpened Tinkertoys and string. My mother bought me some needles and yarn when she saw I was determined to do it.

She is interested for sure. She sits with me and watches me make stuff. She was was made a pair of socks when she was four by a good friend of the family, who by the way is an awesome knitter. Ever since then my little girl has wanted to learn. She will take pencils and my left over yarn and pretend to make something. :roflhard: I can knit either English or Continental so that shouldn’t be hard to teach her either. Thanks for all of the suggestions, they are great!

Both my kids learned to knit in the first grade (they learned at school) so your daughter shouldn’t have any trouble learning.

I agree with suzeeq about the size 10 needles. Keep them short too so they are easier to manage. Worsted weight yarn in a light color will help her see her stitches better.

Good luck!

:rofl::roflhard::rofl::roflhard:

I was 27 or 28 when I decided I wanted to learn. I saw a lady knitting on the bus and thought, hey, that looks like fun! Little did I know what I was getting myself into — what an addiction!! I think your daughter is old enough, go for it!!

I was 15 when I learnt, my grandmother taught me on a stocking stitch fancy-fur flourescent pink scarf. There’s a cute berroco cat toy pattern that’s basically a knit square sewn into shape-quick and easy I’d guess

19 or 20. I honestly can’t remember. It’s been so long (8-9 years, lol!)

My cousin learned to knit when she was 6-7 so I definitely think if your dd is interested she should be able to do it.

I was 13 and i learned on sz 8 needles. I learned continental. she showed us both and we (me and my twin) found continental easier. I made a baby vest for my cousin that was about to be born as my first project. it had little hearts in the front. i tackled two colored knitting for my first project!!

I was 10, but I didn’t really get it. I took it up again about 5 years ago… so really I guess my answer would be 40.

I was 12 when I learned to knit. I learned to crochet first though, when I was 8 (nobody I knew could knit, but my mom crocheted) because I asked to be taught. If she wants to be taught, she’s ready.

It was about 7 years ago when I learned to knit, so I was about 6 years old.

Thank you all so much, I’m feeling a bit better about teaching her. It’s not her ability to learn that concerns me it’s my teaching ability, LOL! Now I can’t wait to start.

I was 6 when I learned to crochet, it wasn’t until I was 11 that I decided to give knitting a shot.

When I learned knitting, the needles were too long and too slick for my small hands to manage easily (I was small for my age until I hit about 14), especially when I would have to hang onto the needles with my non-dominant hand to throw with my dominant, and after all my years of crochet at such a young age it was hard to brake out of that motion and do english throw. My mom offered to find out how to do continental for me at one point, but I wanted to do it “Like mama” and wouldn’t change - this was also before the interenet was a good resource for things like that, so trying to learn continental from a book, and them making it into [I]left-handed[/I] continental was not always a simple task.

I still wonder why I got so frustrated with knitting when I look back on the other things I was doing at 11, I had already been playing harp for 2 years and been playing a [I]pedal[/I] harp for over 1 year, my life revolved around my crafts and music and I was an avid crocheter.

I knit a good 2 or 3 feet on a rather wide scarf, but eventually something frustrated me enough about it that I stopped and eventually decided that knitting just wasn’t for me.

Heh. I was kinda wrong about that ‘not for me’ part, but it did take me over 6 years to give it another try, and that was only because I had a reason. Even then I was resistant, but my mom encouraged me to pick up the needles again, I found I had retained most of it, but I picked up the yarn continental, didn’t realize I was doing anything different until I asked my mom if I was doing it right… “yes dear… but… I think you’re knitting continental…” :teehee: - after crocheting for about 11 years, continental just felt natural.

So my answer would be; I’m sure you can teach her how, especailly if she wants to learn, but I would suggest teaching her on bamboo needles with wool yarn. If you can, try to give her the option of english and continental, and if she still finds it overwhelming with all those needles and stitches, see if she’d like to learn crochet instead!

I was 6 and my grandmother taught me. I picked it up really easily, can’t remember myself fighting knits and purls. I would give it a try :cheering:

My neices began knitting around age 6 or 7. They are now better knitters than I am. In fact, I sometimes call them for help when I can’t find answers here! They’re now 11 and 13. They love it when Auntie Gina calls for knitting help. Makes them feel so smart (which they are)!:slight_smile:

I was 6, and I’ve seen kids even younger pick it up quite well. The one suggestion I would make is to try to break each motion down into small steps, and let her accomplish each step. Just practice inserting the needle into the stitch several times before even bringing the yarn around (if you’re using the throw method) sort of thing. I actually am the dissenting voice here, on needle size. I think that slightly smaller needles are easier to manage. A size 10 in our grown up hands is like a 17 in an 8 year olds. Something more like a 6 -8 I think works best for children. Red Heart makes a pack of chilren’s needles called “Starters”, brightly colored, 7", and in 3 different sizes. ( http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Accessories/Knitting/Needles/Red+Heart+Starters.htm ) It’s great having the 3 different sizes because you won’t be sure what will work best in her hands until she tries it. I’ve found that worsted weight is best when teaching children to knit. Thinner yarns are too difficult for them, and so are bulkier things. Also, multicolored yarns are great-- they can see the stitches more easily and it’s more interesting for them. One trick I’ve also learned about teaching kids to knit, is to let them do it for the first bit WITH the mistakes! If they drop a stitch, so what, or add more, big deal-- just let them keep trying for the first while without getting hung up on the end product; just focus on the maneuvers for a bit.