How much yarn for cast on?

ok, so i need to cast on 200 sts for this horizontal scarf, but i just know i’m gonna run out of yarn when i reach like 153, resulting in me being very angry :grrr:

so, about how much yarn do i need for this cast on?

cast on 10 or 20 stitches, pull it out, measure it, and multiply that number accordingly…and then do a little bit extra for good measure :wink:

ahh, good plan. thank you

If you want to do long-tail cast on for something with that many stitches, I recommend using two separate strands of yarn. I.e., take two ends of yarn – they can be from two separate balls, or both ends of the same ball. Make a slip knot using both together, put on right needle, let the short ends hang, and use the two long strands to make the “V” of your sling-shot configuration. After you’re done casting on, snip off one strand and go along your merry way. No need to worry about running out. :wink:

that is genius :shock:

so do i leave a tail when i cut off one of them, or do i just cut it completely off? :?? cus the more i think about it, the 2nd one seems like a pretty bad idea.

I wish I could say I figured it out myself, but that’s a tip I’ve seen mentioned in numerous places. Pretty nifty, though, ain’t it?

You’ll have to weave in the extra tail you get after cutting the second strand of yarn. A bit of a bother, yes, but less of a pain than running out of yarn when you have that many stitches to cast on, no? :wink:

[color=indigo]I love the two ball approach to the long tail cast on. Recently I heard on Knitty Gritty to figure 1/2 in of yarn per st to be cast on. Just another way to figure it out and useful if one doesn’t have another ball of the same color or one isn’t using a center pull ball or skein.[/color]

You know what? You can avoid the whole problem by doing that Cast on Knit on. It is very smooth and fast once you get started.

“Make a slip knot on left needle. Insert tip of right needle into slip knot. Knit 1 in loop. Place new stitch on left needle. Repeat.”

I hold my left needle vertical and stationary and just knit, slide on top, knit, slide on top. It’s great.

There is always the knitted cast-on or the cable cast-on…

I guestimate the amount of stitches using the “12-in. for every 20 stitches” rule (I think that’s mostly a worsted guideline, I adjust up or down for different weights), and then if I run out, I use the “purling on” technique Lily Chin demonstrated on Knitty Gritty. It is the same concept as Amy’s “knitting on” video, but from the purl side; it matches the long-tail cast-on very closely.

thanks guys :hug: i did the 2-ball thing

:wink: no probs

I use the 3x rule
3 times the end length of finished project is the length needed for long tail cast on
if its a WAY heavy yarn maybe 4x
so i measure around my head, then make 3 loops that long, then make a slip stitch a couple nches further than that for a Weave in tail
again
sounds complicated, but it works for me

ecb