How much of each color do I need?

I am making this sweater for my son. http://www.minidata.co.nz/major/gallery/wallaby/wallaby.htm
I have decided to use swish superwash yarn. I have figured out I need 12 balls total. I am making the train, the bottom ribbing and sleeve ribbing in black I am not doing the hood or the train tracks. My question is how much black would you order and how much red. :shrug: I was thinking maybe 4 balls of black would be enough, but I’m really not sure.

I don’t think you really need 4–that sounds like a lot. I’d probably get 1-2 for just the ribbing and train. How did you come up with 12 balls total? That would be 1320 yards–enough for an adult sweater.

I’m making the wonderful wallaby in the largest size for kid. It says I need 5 balls at 240 yards. So with my calculations that means I was wrong and only need 11 balls, because the swish comes in 110 yard lengths. Correct me if I’m wrong though? So would you still only get 2 balls of black. The body is 134 stitchs and ribbed for 3 inches and the sleeves are 40 stitches and ribbed for 3". Although 3" seems a bit much to me I’m thinking of changing both to 2". Any advise would be appriciated. :wink:

According to my Yarn Requirement chart, you can make a child’s size 10 sweater with 1135 yards, at 5 st per inch; and 900 yds at 4 st per inch. You’re not doing the hood, so there’s yarn you don’t need. The pocket will use more than a regular sweater, though, too.

I always tend to overbuy yarn (which is obvious if you look at my stash), but I do feel that 2 balls is enough for the ribbing. As for the rest? I realize that the pattern calls for that much, but it seems like a lot to me. I guess you could always make a hat to match.

I don’t want to say buy significantly less and have you run out, but I’m looking that the chart here, and it just sounds like a lot to me. :shrug:

Sorry I am making the hood I’m just not putting the black around the hood. I will probably still order 11 balls. It’s not like I won’t use the extra yarn for something.

Ah! I missed that.

My motto is “better too much than too little” :shifty: Plus a few more for good measure. :lol:

Thanks for all your help. :muah: Well I’m off to order yarn :out: