How many times to rip back before giving up?

I am trying to knit what I thought would be a simple and quick pair of slippers for my DD but it just is not knitting up the way I want/expected. It may be the pattern I chose or the yarn (she chose a ‘rainbow’ coloured 100% acrylic!).

So far I have ripped back 3 times and am now changing pattern.

What has been your own record number of rip-backs to the beginning before you gave up?

irishmam

I dunno, maybe 5 or 6…

Depends how much I like what I am knitting. Last fall I knitted two sweaters for my Great Granddaughters and I loved them and was determined to get them done. Ripped back 10 or 12 times. It was worth it. But if I really don’t like how something is coming out I won’t do it more that once or twice.

An entire project? Not SO many times.
But parts of it/ beginnings… well 4 or 5 times, I guess.

My horror in ripping was this really nice ribbon style yarn, white, relatively thick that I had this spring. I had bought 2 balls, and could not get any more at that point (NOW they carry it again, duh!)
But I wanted to make something for a newborn out of it. Well, not so great. I tried like 6 different things. Everything turned out wobbely and thick, stiff, not good.

I finally knit a had with some lace pattern - for myself. I did rip that one out about 3 times, too.

Well, the string looks good. But I have not the least idea what would be the perfect pattern (drop stitch tunic maybe?) for it.

So that yarn I did rip out more then 10 times (compliments to the yarn: it did not suffer).

Good luck with your slippers!

:shrug:
[COLOR=Olive][B][SIZE=3]
Please note my signature. [/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Lana, your signature has always amused me! :slight_smile:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkRed]Happy to oblige. :woot:

Seriously, I think of ripping as just part of the knitting process.
I have decades of experience![/COLOR][/FONT]

LOL - I, too, will rip as many times as it takes for me to be happy. I’m known as the Queen of Ripping in my knitting group. BUT, sometimes (after lots of ripping) I surrender to either the pattern or the yarn and decide they weren’t a good match, then move on to either a different pattern or yarn.

to my content…

I don’t think I have ever given up on a project because of frogging. A few times before I have to put it down and come back to it…but never forever!

I just need to add: I just ripped the same head for a stuffed animal 4 times and I do not know what this try is going to end up being. I already had it sewn on once, but took it off again. But it shall be perfect and that is hard, so trying will be the key!

I’m obstinant. I’ll keep ripping until I get it. I will not let a pattern beat me.

Oh Blimey! (please read with stong English accent)

Now I feel a complete quitter! :frowning: I obviously was not that in love with the pattern to start with.

Irishmam