How many skeins for

I have 285 yards of either chunky or bulky weight Gem Stone yarn from JoAnn. (Gauge is 13S x 17R on 10-1/2 needles for 4x4" swatch) Do I have enough to make a scarf with 20 stitches cast-on in stockinette with a garter border?

I clearly need to buy one of those handy dandy charts. I thought I was capable of figuring such things until I ran out of the now impossible to match dye lot alpaca more than 1/2 way through the dang scarf.

Save me!

Thanks!

First of all, about dye lots–I’ve never seen a difference in yarns of the same color that were different dye lots for yarn that comes from a big manufacturer.

Small mills may have a difference, and in the past it may have been a problem, but nowadays I don’t think it’s as big a deal as it was in the past.

This is nothing official, just my experience for what it’s worth.

Again–nothing official, but I think you have enough for a scarf. I made my cabled scarf with worsted weight on 8 needles and used 300 yards with 36 st across. Thicker yarn and bigger needles will give you even more feet of scarf.

Thank you!!! I agree with you on the dye lot thing and I am going to finish that scarf regardless. Too much time and money invested already!

I figured 284 was enough, but I figured it doesn’t hurt to ask! Can I say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this yarn already after like 8 rows and OF COURSE they have discontinued it. <sigh>

Thanks again!