How loops are pulled through while knitting

While knitting continental, I currently stick my needle in from left to right, from front to back, and then pick up the loose strand of yarn by scooping my needle down and out of the loop. This is different then what is taught by Amy in the video, where she scoops the loose strand from bottom up and out of the loop (yarn is on top of her needle when pulling out). Maybe to better explain myself, when I feed the yarn through my loop to create the new loop on my right needle. I am wrapping the yarn around the bottom of my needle and pushing down and out while I knit. Did I manage to confuse everyone?! If you can understand what I am saying, can you tell me whether this will effect my knitting or not? Does it matter in which direction I scoop up the yarn and pull it through? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Ve

It does. The way you’re doing it, you are twisting your stitches. If you are comfortable doing this, then you have to purl a different way, too. It’s called the “combined purl”, and Amy has a video on this site.

Actually, not to confuse matters, but if you twist the stitch the way veronika is describing, the continental purl will NOT untwist it. Wrapping backwards makes the [I]new [/I]stitch twisted; knitting through the back loop twists the [I]old[/I] stitch on the needle. So to compensate for twisting the stitch as veronika describes it, she’d have to purl through the back loop on the next row – my least favorite stitch in the world!

So I would say: see if you can change the way you pick up the stitch to match Amy’s video. In the long run, you’ll have fewer problems matching other people’s patterns.

Thanks for the helpful tips. Since, I’m not too far into knitting I will start practicing the “correct” way right away, so I do not get stuck with a bad habit later on. :slight_smile: -Ve