How is the name of your town pronounced?

I live in Texas, and “Mex-i-a” cracks me up, too- as does Bexar County (San Antonio) which should be pronounced like “bare”, but is frequently pronounced phonetically.

Well my little hometown is Coalfield. Not a hard one. But being a southerner we like to drop any unnecessary letters so its usually pronounced by the locals as “Cofeel”.:doh:

Well, let me see. I really don’t live within any city or town limits. I am as rural as you can get. So depending on my mood I live in the vicinity of 3 places–Putnam, Sweet Water and Nanafalia. The first 2 are easy and we pronounce the 3rd one Nana-fly.

Kansas City is pretty easy to figure out- but, yes, it IS in Missouri (and that ends in an i not an a!) My favorite is from Iowa. The town is What Cheer. Happy town, right? No, it’s WAH-cheer - Wah-like water, silent T, emphasis on the Wah part. Then there’s Kearney, just north of me in Missouree. It’s pronounced Kar-nee- kinda like the Spanish word for meat. I think the one in Nebraska is the same way.

Kelly

Hee hee I graduated high school in Newport News.

My nearest town is usually mispronounced. It’s Elizabethton. Which most people pronounce Elizabeth-ton.

But when you live here- it’s ElizaBETHton. I’m actually way out in the county.

Port Hueneme comes to mind with mispronunciations. Its a town in Ventura County and its pronounced Port Why-knee-me.

Well - you do have Del Norte County up there in Norcal though - which to a Southern Californian like me is pronounced like the Spanish would pronounce it - Del Nortay (with a roll of the r even), but to locals there its just Del Nort :slight_smile: And there is Tuolumne, which I guess is more central California, but its pronounce two-wall-oh-me (closest I can get - its kinda said like that but fast and it runs together) And there is Yreka - which is Why-reeka, but I always here people trying to pronounce it like Eureka (You-reeka)

All of these are great.
HollyP - Great story.

Well - you do have Del Norte County up there in Norcal though - which to a Southern Californian like me is pronounced like the Spanish would pronounce it - Del Nortay (with a roll of the r even), but to locals there its just Del Nort :slight_smile: And there is Tuolumne, which I guess is more central California, but its pronounce two-wall-oh-me (closest I can get - its kinda said like that but fast and it runs together) And there is Yreka - which is Why-reeka, but I always here people trying to pronounce it like Eureka (You-reeka)

You’re right – I guess I wasn’t thinking far enough afield. And since I live closer to Tuolumne than to Del Norte County, technically I guess I’m not a real [I]northern[/I] Northern California gal.

We do have a river to the south of us called the Cosumnes (Co-soom-nes) and it drives me nuts when the local news people pronounce it Cun-sum-nis . . . hello, there’s no N in there!

On the central coast, there’s a town called San Luis Obispo. Some people want to pronounce it San Looey Obispo (as you would in Spanish), but apparently the locals get unhappy when they hear that; they pronounce it like [I]Lewis[/I].

I’ll have to see if I can come up with any others. :think:

Everything around me is pretty much pronounced as it appears. I mean you can’t really screw up St. Louis or St. Charles, or St. Peters, or O’Fallon…lol…One thing that does drive me nuts though is when people say MissourA instead of Missouri (Missouree)…no offense to anyone here who may pronounce it Missoura :teehee:

Oh, but we do have a local grocery store called Schnucks (Shnooks) and some people say Snooks…Drives me crazy! lol

A question about the Missouri/Missoura pronunciation - from people I’ve known from that state, the pronunciation tends to differ by region. I lived in southern Iowa for a while, and the Missourians I knew there called it Missoura. Those from St. Louis area called it Missouri. Is this just a coincidence, or is it really a regional thing?

My dad lives right near San Luis Obispo- we all call it Slo. :slight_smile:

I was born in central Maryland about an hour north west of Washington DC. The Potomac River separates Maryland from Va. The locals call it the Pa-toe-mic river. As I was flying into DC one time the pilot said that we were flying over the Pot-o-mac river on the way to the airport. I was afraid I was on the wrong plane.

I think the hicks call it Missourah and the normal people call it Missouree. That’s just my opinion though! I have friends that say Missourah so no offense, just the way I was raised. Someone once said it’s not Mississipah, so why call it Missourah? Of course, if you go to MU, they are called Mizzou and chant Mizzou-RAH, but that’s different…

Another one I thought of- Olathe. It’s pronounced O-lay-tha. Whenever I hear someone from somewhere else pronounce it, they either leave off the last syllable or use a long e.

Kelly

:rofl: :rofl:

That’s funny. It does get quite frosty here. We had our first snow last week - about 3 inches - and today it’s almost 70. Go figure.

Easy way to spot the tourists :roflhard:

No way…how long have they been there? I was raised in Upland. I left in 1981 after joining the military. We always pronounced it Uplund…the new locals must be getting lazyon the d :teehee:

Yes, it does differ throughout the state…It’s common in the more rural parts of Missouri for people to pronounce it Missoura and in the more urban areas it’s pronounced Missouri. Another interesting thing: my grandma’s name is Naomi, and, I believe, most people pronounce it Naomee, but, to show how the pronunciations differ throughout the state, my great grandma (my grandma’s mom) always pronounced it Naoma.

Yes, it does differ throughout the state…It’s common in the more rural parts of Missouri for people to pronounce it Missoura and in the more urban areas it’s pronounced Missouri.

Interesting (to me anyway) fact about that state. The original name was in fact Missoura but when it became a state the upper class folks thought the “hicks” were just mispronouncing it and it officially became named Missouri in the statehood papers. So it’s current name came about because the “educated” folks were the ones who were mispronouncing it.

Interesting indeed! Ya learn something new every day…lol