How is the name of your town pronounced?

I always think it is funny to hear how radio and tv people pronounce the names of local cities. For instance, they pronounce Norfolk as it looks, Nor-folk which just sounds silly. When locals pronounce it it sounds like Naw-(then bad word that starts with “F”). We do the same with Suffolk. The other city name that people slaughter is Portsmouth which they pronounce Ports-mouth which sounds really silly. True Portsmouth natives like my mom say Porch-muth.
What about your cities and towns?

There’s only one way to say the name of my town: CrossRoads.
The funniest mispronunciation of a town name that I ever heard was when Greta Van Sustern referred to Mesquite, Texas as “muh- squee-tay”.

It’s pretty hard to mess up San Francisco, but I hate it when people refer it to 'Frisco.

My parents live in Upland in California. It looks like it would be pronounced Up-land, but it’s actually pronounced up-lynn(d) - with a very soft d - by the locals.

I didn’t actually live there but I lived close enough for it to annoy me when people pronounce Kissimmee as KISS-i-mee. It’s supposed to be ki-SI-mee.

My town is Kent…as in Clark Kent, superman’s alter ego!

Cute thread, Lindsey! I like being informed about correct pronunciation!

How is New Orleans really pronounced? Anyone know?

I’ve heard New Or-leeens. I’ve heard N’awlins. I heard New Ahlens. :shrug:

Well, Laguna Hills is pretty much not hard to pronounce although I have on rare occasions heard Laguana. :zombie: Southern CA has a lot of spanish names and boy do those get slaughters. San Juan Capistrano and La Jolla come to mind… Often we hear San Jew-an Cap -iss- tree-an-oh and La Jolla is pronounced La Hoya, but it gets pronounced phonetically a lot. :teehee: Understandable, but funny to us nonetheless.

Lindsey, I grew up and still live in Yorktown( pronounced exactly as it looks). When I was little my Aunt washed my mouth out with soap for saying Norfolk in the local manner!:teehee: I told my Mom about it later and she set my Aunt straight.

Try living in New Mexico with all the Spanish and Indian names. I grew up in So Cal and then lived in San Francisco and I have always appreciated when anyone tried to pronounce the names correctly. Well, now living in Texas I hear the name of ‘Alvarado’ prounced like ‘Al - va ray do.’ Now, come on, do they pronounce the truck Silverado the same? No. And, there again, here in TAXUS they pronounce Rio Grande, a very Spanish name, Rio Grand. Come on, folks. Show respect for the origin of the name!

It’s kind of hard to mess up Frostburg. It’s a very fitting name as this town gets extremely cold and windy in the winter, and people are always asking me if the town got its name because of the weather. :teehee:

Well, Windsor is pretty easy to sound out. Nothing special there. However we do have a lot of street names that are based of some of the Native language (I think the tribe in the area way back when was Ojibway, but not sure) and french and stuff. Or they just pronounce them weird.

Pierre street is pronounces as Peer-EE, NOT Pee-Air
Baby street is pronounced as Bab-ee NOT Bay-Bee

The hardest streets for new people to pronounce would be:
Ouellette = Oh-Let tho some french speakers like to say OO-let. This is incorrect in Windsor. lol

Techumseh Rd. = Teh-kum-see
and lastly, Wyandotte = Whine-Dot to us Windsorites.

I grew up in Baltimore, and locals call it Balmer, Murlin (or, more likely Balmermurlin). That’s in Balmer Canny (County), hon.

Well I live in Omaha… I haven’t heard too many people say that wrong (though my brother does put a weird emphasis on the middle syllable) I grew up in Holstein which is pronounced hole-steen… yes like the cow but it is actually named after a town in Germany.

The thing that makes me crazy is a town here in Nebraska named Norfolk. you think y’all pronounce it oddly… they pronounce it “nor-fork” here. There is a reason for it but it still makes me crazy.

When settlers came here they actually wanted to name it after the valley they settled in, the North Fork valley. They made a compound word out of it, “norfork” and a postal employee thought it was spelled wrong and changed it to “Norfolk.” so while it is spelled one way they still ignore it and pronounce it the other way.

I grew up in a smallish town in Texas named Cleburne. It’s pretty easy, or so I thought: “Clee-burn.” However, I’ve heard it as “Clay-burn” a lot from those living up in this region (Northern KY/Southern OH).
The fun one around Cleburne isn’t Alvarado. Although Alvarado is closer geographically! It was Mexia. Correctly pronounced “Meh-hey-ah” with the x being a soft h. So often you’d hear it as “Mex-i-a.” Still makes me laugh.

Nothing hard to pronounce about the towns in N. California where I was born and grew up, but I have a fondness for Washington State, and I can think of at least one town with a name that tripped me up for a long time.

It’s Puyallup – and I always wanted to pronounce it Poo-[B]yal-[/B]lup. It took a long time before I finally learned that it’s actually Pew-[B]al[/B]-up.

Not necessarily towns that I am from/have lived in but:
Ely, MN: I had always heard in pronounced ee-Lie (like the name) but when I went there I heard it ee-lee.
Towns in Australia:
Cairns: Any Iowan will tell you that proper pronunciation of this is “cayrrrns.” My Aussie friends laughed at me. My roommate, from the Cairns area, pronounced it “Cay®ns” with the ® a VERY light/flipped r… the vowel was 3/4 of the way to a long a from a short one, too, rather than a full long a. I totally can’t pronounce it this way. My other friends said “Cans.” That one I can say.
Brisbane: Iowans say “Briz-bane” - Aussies say “Briz-ben” or “Briz-bin” or “Brizzy” (And by the way “Aussie” is pronounced “Ozzie”… Aaron thought it was hilarious when I said it “awe-see”)
Melbourne: Iowans - “Mel-born”; Aussies: "Mel-bin"
Mooloolaba: Iowans don’t try this one until they’ve been taught the correct word. if they do try it, they say “Moo…loo…lah…bah.” Aussies: "Muh-loo-luhbuh"
One of my favorites: Gympie. Can be pronounced “gimpy” (as in having a limp) or “gym-pie” (like, where basketball games are held + tasty desert). My friends from there were more likely to say "gimpy"
Bli Bli - Iowans: blee blee, blih blih… Aussies: Bl-eye Bl-eye

These were the most commonly mis-pronounced. Beerwah, Bundaberg, Kawana, Noosa, and Landsborough are all pronounced basically as they are spelled. Caboulture and Caloundra are pronounced “Cab-ulture” (Rhymes with “vulture”) and Ca-lund-ra (same u as before), but Nambour is “nam-bore.”

Oh, and I almost forgot Buderim! I’d never heard it spelled the first time I heard it pronounced (by a bus driver giving the foreign students a “Welcome to the Coast” tour), but I later heard some Americans say it “bud-er-'im.” To the locals it’s usually “Budrum” or “Budrim,” with a hard d that is almost a t and the last vowel being some sort of mushed vowel in the middle of uh/eh/ih.
Sorry for being way too in depth, but I was trying to learn to say things right so I had to think my way through all of this a few times.

Well, Boston is hard to mess up but I do get a kick out of hearing Worcester, Gloucester, Quincy, Haverhill etc. get messed up.

One time, when I used to work at Logan Airport, a traveler asked me how to get to “Revery”. Huh??? Finally I asked him to spell it and he meant “Revere”!

Ah yes, the midnight ride of Paul Revery:teehee:

I was living in Etobicoke…which can cause some ppl grief…

It is pronounced Eh-tobi-coe

ladyjessica, We have a town in Florida named Frostproof. It was named so because there is rarely a frost in Central Florida. Maybe it should be Rarely Frosty. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Are there any South African members here?

In 1999 I stayed in a fabulous B&B just putside of Durban. No A/C (!) but it was right on the shore and the owners had great dogs that came and went in our rooms whenever they wanted.

I loved it and the town was pronounced: Ooomshloti.

I can’t, for the life of me, remember the proper spelling!

I loved on Wooster - which is pronounced just like Worcester is, with the oo as in “book”. A lot of people try to have it rhyme with rooster.

I lived in a town where two different pronunciations were used about equally - Lay-trobe, and Lah-trobe.

My current hometown is Selinsgrove - prounounced SEE-lynns-grove.