How important is it to use the method a pattern instructs?

I’m making my first sweater (YAY!:woot: )
I chose one that is done in the round from the top down raglan style.

I work the starting rows back and forth then CO stitches so I can join in the round. It says to use the backwards loop method.
I just don’t like that method.
Can I use another?
I’ll be coming back to this part when I’m done to add a ribbed neckline.

I’ve never made a sweater, but I’ve ignored plenty of pattern instructions. Something like that, I would say go ahead and try whatever method you want, but depending on how the pattern itself work, how it’s written, ect. you might find it easier to just do magic loop. But it shouldn’t make any huge, if any, changes to the finished work.

Are you talking about the cast on stitches for under the arm or at the beginning? I don’t like backward loop for the original cast on on anything, but I have used it for under the arm. I usually use the cable cast on though.

There are no knitting police or rules, but occasionally the designer has a reason for telling you one way or another. In this case I doubt it matters.

I’m talking about after I get started. I’m working the back of the neck area flat for a few rows then It wants to do backwards loop cast on for the front and then later for under the arm opening.

I figure that since I’ll be picking up stitches in both of these places later for neckline and sleeves I should be perfectly find going for my cable cast on (Which makes so much more sense because I have this irrational fear that my knitting could die because it’s just loops and loops)

I just go ahead with my standard cast-on in situations like that. The backwards loop one is going to create less of a ridge on the inside since there’s less yarn involved, but I don’t like it. I find it difficult to knit the next row and to pick up stitches from later.

With specific techniques, the designer might just be following what they’ve always been told to do or they might have tested a bunch of ideas and decided this one was the best for the particular situation. I will often include something in the pattern notes if I chose something out of the ordinary/specific to share why. I tend to just tell you to cast-on, increase, etc. without telling you specifically how so you can pick your own method as often the specific method doesn’t matter too much.