How do you store your DPNs?

I have all my needles in a box and each time I want a particular set of DPNs I have to search through the box to find all 5 needles. This could be solved by putting rubber band around each set, but before going through the box and doing this I want to ask if you have something smarter? How do you store your DPNs?

I was going to suggest the rubber band option, but you’ve already thought of that!! You could buy a box of small sandwich size ziploc bags. Then label each one with the correct size using a marker. You have to make sure the bags are long enough.

For the future, I would recommend keeping the little container that they are sold in. I have a whole bunch that used to belong to my grandma and each set has its own plastic holder. (Like an envelope)

Knitcindy

1 Like

I use the cords from the dollar store that are shaped like the old curly cue telephone cords. Today they use them to hold keys on your upper arm like cashiers do!
I buy a package and snip them in 1” pieces. Use one curly cue and wrap around each set of needles …

5 Likes

I use these and love them. I wrote the needle size on them with a sharpie.

As far as rubber bands, I use the pony tail holders with the marble-like balls on the ends for all my device cables. They’re much easier to get on and take off.

https://www.knitpicks.com/double-pointed-knitting-needle-tubes/p/80211

3 Likes

I do not use DPNs, but my friend sews needle wraps using thin place mats found at a thrift store.
Similar to this vid.

3 Likes

I find my couch stores them rather nicely but refuses to give them back. One solution, however imperfect, is to buy a small chest, the kind art stores sell to keep pencils in. Label each drawer for the size you want

2 Likes

It’s funny you should say that. Yesterday I started the ribbing on a sleeve with 4 DPN’s (as I’d lost one) when I decided to plump up the cushions on my sofa when I found the lost DPN. I settled down to knit the ribbing and about three quarters of the way to the length I wanted I discovered I was back to 4 DPN’s again…and I haven’t got a clue how I lost one whilst knitting and where it’s gone!!!

1 Like

I care ridiculously much about my DPNs, so that has never happened yet :grin:. But I have my fears when my wife borrows my equipment… and she is an expert in making things disappear :yum:.

2 Likes

I use a needle roll to store the DPNS I don’t use a lot but have a container on my table next to me with my most used DPNs. Those are rubber banded together and are in easy reach.

1 Like

Knitpicks and other places sell (inexpensive) tubes to hold DPNs. You can write the size on the end.

https://www.knitpicks.com/double-pointed-knitting-needle-tubes/p/80211

1 Like

For me, I have to rubber band them and put them away right away instead of telling myself “I’ll do it later.” I like to keep all my rubber banded double points and circular needles (in the packages they came in) in a pouch from Cumberland Concepts. They came from the office supply section of Walmart. Depending on how long they are, they can also be stored in a Boye brand case meant for crochet hooks. I also have a set of interchangeables from Knitpicks that fit well in this. Passed it on to my daughter.

2 Likes

I keep mine in a short wide-mouthed jar on the book shelf next to where I usually knit. Each set is kept together with a ponytail elastic wrapped multiple times. I used to have long hair but now don’t so I had plenty of hair ties around. (I don’t need to keep track of which size is which because the sizes are laser-etched on each needle.) It isn’t glamorous but it works fine and required zero time or money to set up and is easy to access and to keep clean and tidy.

3 Likes

I have made my self a holder for all my needles, one for DPN and another for normal needless. IMG_4171 IMG_4172 IMG_4173
First picture shows needles closed and ends in. Second picture show a flap that covers the ends of the needles so they won’t fall out. Third picture shows where I have sewn Velcro on three sections to hold flap in place. Hope this helps. Don’t use rubber bands they perish over a short time.

5 Likes

Get Ziplock (slider) bags of all sizes…and a dark felt pen. “”""“Tiny”"""" zips are available at places like Wal Mart…in the craft/notions section…food size bags in the food aisles. Quarts, half gallons, two and one half gallons…then the two square foot size, yes…two square foot…are available online.

Sort all your sizes into appropriate size bags, mark them with the felt pen on the bag, inside or outside…then pop all of these sorted, bagged and marked dpns…into one larger zip bag.

So, I do this, too for yarn skeins, balls, cakes, remnants…everything is ‘visible’ and kept clean, too.

Make sense? ((:

1 Like

My sister made me a roll case out of fabric for my DPNs.

1 Like

My sister made me one for my DPNs.

This is an image I made for crochet hooks, I also made for DPNS

2 Likes