How do you pronounce "skein"?

Ok, maybe I’m just gramatically challeneged (which, honestly, I’m not), but I always thought “skein” was pronounced “skeen”…but lately, I’ve actually started talking to knitters in real life, and they all pronounce it as “skane”! So yeah, I feel kinda dorky, but every time I say it, I can’t stop saying “skeen”!! :shrug: It’s, like, stuck in my head now.

So…how do you pronounce “skein”? :slight_smile:

Well, I also say skeen, but I’ve got a great excuse, since my fist language is dutch and english is only my second language and I KNOW my pronunciation totally SUCKS. (but well, I won’t starve when I’m in an english speaking country, so for now I’m happy with it)

[color=blueviolet]The first option is correct.[/color]

It’s pronounced skane because of the E before I rule. If the E is before the I then it is pronounced as an A. If the I is before the E then it is pronounced as E.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Yep, I had looked it up in the dictionary to prove those old knitting ladies wrong…and promptly got proved wrong myself! :rofl:

I’m just wondering how everyone else in the world pronounces it. :slight_smile:

My mother-in-law, who stocks yarn (Red Heart) in her variety store, always said “skane”, so that’s how I pronounced it - thank goodness it’s right! I wasn’t a knitter until after I was married, so I never even knew what a skein was before I met her!

I was JUST having this conversation, with of all people, my husband.

I asked is it “skane, skeen, or skine?”

I’ve heard it all three ways.

Yeah, I think “skein” is one of the words that I knew how to say before I knew how it was spelled. Or around the same time. I can’t remember learning how to say or spell it. :shrug:

And I do say “skane” and always have.

I was talking to my best friend about helping me build a swift, and at one point I said “skane” and he’s like, “Skane, what’s that?”

I held one up, “This is a skane.” “How do you spell that?” So he’d never heard it before either. So funny that this is coming up during the same week! :roflhard:

I pronounce it “ball” which I think is also a bit wrong.

I say ‘skane’, which for some reason, my husband thinks is a hilarous word. So now whenever we’re out and we see yarn he’ll hold it up and say “Is this a skein?”, even though he knows perfectly well if it is or isn’t. :roll:

Interestingly, the Wiktionary has it only as “skeen”. The OED is unambiguous about it being “skane”, as are all the other sources I’ve come up with. Even from the etymology I don’t see any reason for it to have developed into “skeen”.

On the other hand, if you are pronouncing it another way, I feel it is my duty as a linguist to affirm your pronunciation decision and to thank you for your contribution to language change. :wink:

:rofl:

I also say “skane.” Never really thought about it.

Though now that I’ve had a new neurosis fed, I might just talk about hanks and balls! :wink:

This is how I am with merino. For some reason I always thought it was MER-i-no, with the accent on the first syllable. But it’s not – it’s mer-EEE-no, and I’ve probably known this for a year and a half, but in my head I always say MERino. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had NOOO idea it was supposed to be pronounced “skane”. I was saying “skeen”. Then again English is my second language. My boyfriend, however, is a native english speaker and never corrected me, I wonder if he knows!

English is such a weird language for that. The rules for pronunctiation are always very vague. My boyfriend always says there is absolutely no link in english between how a word is written and how you should pronounce it. You just have to… know. :wall:

I have never heard of this in my entire life on this planet, and I’m 30 yrs old!!!

Thanks for the english lesson :teehee:

well it isn’t true in all instances…just like just about everything else in the english language…lol

I don’t know how they came up with [ey] to mean ay as in day, but I’ll admit that I’m contributing to language change by saying it skeen. Why don’t we spell skein in a way that makes its pronuciation more obivous. :teehee:

I don’t know how they came up with [ey] to mean ay as in day, but I’ll admit that I’m contributing to language change by saying it skeen. Why don’t we spell skein in a way that makes its pronuciation more obivous. :teehee:[/quote]
I agree! I think it should either be spelled “skane” or “skeen” to let us know how on earth to pronounce it! :slight_smile: