How do you pronounce Malabrigo?

At the LYS where I got my first skein (!!!) the other day, the lady called it “muh-BREE-zhi-oh.” I thought it was “mal-ah-bree-go.” Of course, I took German in high school, not Spanish, so I could be very mistaken!

The only downside to the Malabrigo is that it smells like cigarette smoke, as did the whole shop… :grrr:

I’ve always said “mal-uh-BREE-go” :shrug:

Same, but mal isn’t like “mall.” It’s almost like “maul,” but not quite.
Interestingly, I had wondered about its name as “mal” meaning bad and “abrigo” meaning coat. Apparently, “abrigo” also means shelter (which I did not know) and malabrigo was named after a town called Malabrigo (bad shelter). Lisa (Jeep Girl) asked the owner guy for me at Stitches East because I was too chicken. :teehee:

maybe the LYS lady misread it?
i used to think it was mal-uh-bree-gee-o because i thought it was spelled malabrigio…
but then i finally bought a skein and realized it was only mal-uh-bree-go.
i don’t really understand where your LYS lady’s pronunciation comes from. hmmm. i only have 3 years of HS level spanish experience, though.

sorry yours smells like smoke. =(
all of my newer straight-from-the-factory-sealed-bag-skeins smelled like vinegar (from the dye-ing process?). but, the smell has faded for the most part.

:?? i say muh-la-bri-go :shrug:

:shrug: Mine comes from asking the guy that owns the company. Or, well, Lisa’s asking. :teehee: My 5 years of Spanish in school did me good! :cheering:

:?? I pronounce mall and maul the same…

:?? I pronounce mall and maul the same…[/quote]

lol i am glad you said it because i have been sitting here saying both of them trying to get the words to sound different and i absolutely can not without completely changing my dialect :rofl:

maybe she means that in the same way i usually say the word which is

[color=darkred]mal[/color] [size=2](as in pal)[/size] [color=darkred]uh[/color] [size=2](as in duh)[/size] [color=darkred]bree[/color] [size=2](as in stinky cheese)[/size] [color=darkred]go[/color] [size=2](as in get the heck outta here!)[/size]

lol i am glad you said it because i have been sitting here saying both of them trying to get the words to sound different and i absolutely can not without completely changing my dialect :rofl:

maybe she means that in the same way i usually say the word which is

[color=darkred]mal[/color] [size=2](as in pal)[/size] [color=darkred]uh[/color] [size=2](as in duh)[/size] [color=darkred]bree[/color] [size=2](as in stinky cheese)[/size] [color=darkred]go[/color] [size=2](as in get the heck outta here!)[/size][/quote]

Yeah, I meant one l, like pal. I can type. :cheering: Mall IS like maul.

Well, if you’re from the Deep South, then maul comes out much more stretched…“My cousin was maaaauuuulllleeeedddd by dat der bearrrr.”

:teehee:

BTW, how do you pronounce Calorimetry??? I stumble over this word when I’m showing my recent FO off at work. :??

I was just trying to get across that I don’t say it like the “a” in “pal,” which is how normal people say it, I think.

As for calorimetry? No idea. I DON’T pronounce it. :teehee:

Wrong. :shrug:

[quote=“brendajos”]

Wrong. :shrug:[/quote]

:roflhard:

Can you say “big hair-band thing-y that just happens to cover your ears…” :roflhard:

:roflhard:

Can you say “big hair-band thing-y that just happens to cover your ears…” :roflhard:[/quote]

Well I can say Big Hair Band but that is a Metal Music thing ya know… :teehee:

The calor- part is said like calories (that you eat). Then add -imetry.

cal-or-IM-itry

[quote=“brendajos”]

Hey now don’t knock my calorimetry… keeps my ears warm walking up to the bus stop… :verysad:

I say it cal-o-rim-i-try. :shrug:

And I say “mal-uh-bree-go” with the Mal sounding like “Malcolm”

Hey now don’t knock my calorimetry… keeps my ears warm walking up to the bus stop… :verysad:[/quote]

heeeeeeeey! I wasn’t knocking it. The question was how do you say it and I said I say it WRONG…sheeeeeeeeesh… Go take a nap grumpy pants!

Hey now don’t knock my calorimetry… keeps my ears warm walking up to the bus stop… :verysad:[/quote]

heeeeeeeey! I wasn’t knocking it. The question was how do you say it and I said I say it WRONG…sheeeeeeeeesh… Go take a nap grumpy pants![/quote]

:rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

I’d say it the same way.