How do you cast on additional stitches

Hi, this is my first time at this sight and hope you can help me.
I have been trying to teach myself to knit again ( it has been many years) I have been knitting basic slippers for a couple of weeks and now want to try a felt bag. Although the instructions are graded as EASY after reading them I have come across something I have never done.

The instructions read like this …
Cast on 45 sts. Work in stocking st for 18 ins ending with RS facing for next row.
[B]Next row: Cast on 50 sts. Knit to end of row. 95 sts[/B]

My question is how do you cast on at that point? Do I use a new skein of yarn? How do I get the tail needed to cast on? I hope you can help me?

You don’t need a new ball of yarn - just use your working yarn. What I usually do is what’s called a single cast-on or backwards loop cast on. Here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on - is a video on how to do it. Scroll down the page a bit and it’s the 2nd cast-on. HTH. :slight_smile:

. . . .or you can use one of the other single-strand cast-ons, knitted or cable.

Thank you, boy that was a quick response. I can see this sight is going to be very helpful…

For casting on 50 sts I recommend the knitted or cable castons. Backward loop can leave you with a lot of loose, slack yarn when you knit back over the CO.

^^ And this is why I love this site. I learned yet another thing. Thanks, suzeeq!!!