How do I use markers?

I am making my first pair of socks on double pointed needles and the pattern says to use markers in the rows. Can someone tell me how to use these! PLEASE :thinking:[color=darkred][/color][size=6][/size]

Markers are just little rings, or a loop of contrasting color yarn that you put on your needle between your stitches. It helps you to keep your place in your pattern for increases, decreases, etc. Kind of like a bookmark. Slip a marker on your needle where they tell you to, and when you get to it, just slip it from one needle to the next.

ok… but using them on dpn’s is different, isn’t it? I haven’t been able to figure out how to use the markers on dpn’s because the needle you’re working with is always empty at the start of a row… I mean… AAAAHHHAAAA!!! :figureditout: I could just put it one stitch into the row instead of right at the beginning of the row.

[size=2]sometimes I’m a little slow.[/size]

Yup! That’s it for the beginning round!

I’m so glad you asked this, Liz, 'cuz I am having the same problem-when I put the marker where the pattern says, its just keeps fallling off (while I hold the yarn so tightly I’m surprised it doesn’t POP! LOL!

I am working on the sleeves for the baby sweater in Last Minute Knitted Gifts-my first time with DPNS- :shock: very hard ! I’ve just started over -again-since I can’t seem to get the seed stitch right, it keeps ending up ribbing instead-sigh. I hope I can get it eventually! It may be summer again by the time I get her little swaeter made!

Hilary, just remember… when you think you should knit, purl instead and vice versa. That was the easiest way for me to remember seed stitch. Instead of knitting the knit stitches, you’re going to purl them. And, instead of purling the purl stitches, you’re going to knit them. Make sense?

You could also try knitting on two circs instead of DPNs…it took me like 10 minutes to get the hang of, whereas I hear DPNs can be pretty cumbersome.