How do I RELAX new circular needles?

I know I could google this, but I want the experienced knitters here to share their knowledge on this darned subject. I’ve tried to get the kinks out of circulars before by soaking them in warm water, but it didn’t really make much of a difference. I was watching a utube video on a knitting technique for something last week and the lady even mentioned how that doesn’t really work.

She was talking about a certain brand of needles that she bought which were very expensive and I think she basically was saying that they were not very curled at all because of what they were made of. She mentioned how she saved up to buy them, so they must be something I WON’T BE BUYING, for sure!

If you can help me with this, I’d appreciate it. I just bought them at Walmart and they’re not the best brand, I suppose, but I really can’t afford to go spend so much at Michaels as they are extremely expensive there.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Jovin.

I have some from Walmart. Getting them to behave was a lost cause. I decided to buy a set of interchangeables. I know that’s not what you want to hear. If you buy them on sale you can get them at a decent price and in the end a good set less expensive than buying different lengths of the same size. I love my Knitter’s Pride needles. I have several sets.

1 Like

Well, I my problem is that I’m not sure I can even do much knitting anymore. I gave it up for a few years because of so much arthritis in my hands. Now I’m trying again because my granddaughter is so excited with learning how to knit and I’m trying to support her new hobby but my hands are getting so painful on a regular basis. I’m thinking my future in knitting is very limited.

Thank you for your reply. It’s much appreciated. May I ask where you managed to get your needles on sale?

Here’s what I do to straighten curly needles:

I place the needles in my dishpan
Then I boil water and pour it into the dishpan until it covers the needles
I let them sit for a few minutes
Then I take out the needles and hold it by one end
I use my other hand to take a towel and rub the cord while pulling down on it to straighten it out

Knitcindy

1 Like

I run the cord past the steam from a whistling tea kettle at full boil. (You have to be careful not to burn your fingers.)
Then I suspend the needles from a table or drawer with a weight tied on. A tennis shoe works well.

1 Like

Following! My interchangeable ChiaoGoo cables are much better than the ones from hobby stores (why can’t I think of the brand right now?). And I LOVE the hole to thread a lifeline! My set was about $100 on Amazon. It has #2-15.

OMG! I can’t imagine spending that much on needles, but if you are doing a lot of knitting for everyone I suppose it’s necessary to have a good set.

1 Like

Thank you, Cindy. I’ll give these all a try if one doesn’t work. I’m out today at my daughters but will definitely try to do a trick or two tonight and see if this will help. Thanks again.

Buying an entire set of needles isn’t a requirement. I don’t know about all brands but the ones I use can be purchased separately as fixed circulars or tips and cables. If you add up what it would cost to buy different lengths of the same size needles if needed then consider that you’d be buying several sizes in assorted lengths you can see that in the long run a set isn’t as expensive as it seems up front. It does depend on how much knitting you expect to do. A couple of fixed circs in a length that allows for magic loop so you can knit small diameter projects might be all you need.

Well I’ve been around a long time and have definitely accumulated a lot of needles. Unfortunately my granddaughter seems to be wanting to “borrow” them and she lives out of town. She conveniently has forgotten to bring them

With her different times and I’ve had to go purchase more. It’s frustrating because I’ve given her an awful lot of my doubles already but it just seems like when I want

a certain size it’s been “borrowed.” :smiley:

Aha. You need to start a BYON (bring your own needles) policy. Rule breakers must buy their own. :rofl: My granddaughter learned to knit but doesn’t seem interested in actually doing it. The things we do for the grands.

I know!!! :+1:

1 Like

OMG! THIS WORKED FANTASTICALLY! I actually was shocked to see how well and how FAST this worked! I used a big stainless steel bowl and poured boiling water over the needles and they almost immediately straightened out and the curled needle was coming up out of the bowl like a snake with an Indian snake charmer act! I couldn’t believe it. I just took the towel and dried it off and VOILA! Instant success. The only problem I’m worried about is the fact that maybe the joining might be affected where the needle and the tubing is joined. So far…so good, I CAN’T THANK YOU ENOUGH, Cindy! YOU ROCK!

7 Likes

Glad it worked!!! U might have to do it again after they’ve been stored for awhile, but now u have the knowledge!!

Happy Knitting!!!
Knitcindy

2 Likes

I thought so too, but I’ve really used them! I even wish I had two sets! I have bought extra cables. If you break it down into 13 pair, the price seems more reasonable.

Beth

I definitely understand purchasing them if you can afford it and have intentions of doing a lot of knitting. If I was in that position I’d do it too.

The funny thing is that in the past I know I’ve tried the hot water thing and it didn’t seem to work. I most likely was afraid to use REALLY hot water. Now I have another question. What the heck do you do to store them now, because I keep all of my circulars in the packages that they come in, but I have to admit, I’ve been away from knitting for sometime so can’t attest to how curly they are when you start to knit again with them.

What would you suggest for storing the needles now that they’re straightened out?

Steam was the way I’d heard it. Nice to know this one works, too.

It definitely does! It was the first method I tried.

There are circular needle holders like this one that you can make or buy. They keep the cables from curling up again. The most convenient ones are on hangers so the they can slip into a closet without taking up much space.