How do I "pick up stitches"?

I’m knitting the felted cats by Crafty Alien in her “Swat Team” Pattern.

The link to her page is at the bottom of this post.

Basically, they’re two balls, one for the head and a smaller one for the body. To knit the head, you

CO 13 sts
Knit 10 rows while increasing to 37 sts
Knit 10 rows while decreasing
Eventually after all the decreases, you have 7 sts left on your needle that you don’t bind off, you just thread the tail through these sts and pull tight to form the top of the ball.

So far, I’ve got this down.

Here’s the tricky part.

I’m supposed to reattach the yarn back at my 13 sts that I cast on to start this. Ok, I guess I can figure out how to do that if worse came to worse.

Then, <this is where she loses me>,

it says

“Pick up 13 sts”

Do I just push my needle through where I cast on until I end up with 13 loops over the needle?

Do I use the yarn I just joined and pull that through the cast on sts so the joined yarn is what makes the 13 picked up sts?

Do I just muddle my way through and say, “Does it really matter since I’m felting it when I’m done anyway?”?

Right now, option 3 is looking quite tempting, but I’m still interested to know what I “should’ve” done if I could read the mind of the designer.

http://www.craftyalien.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Thanks for any help you can give in my pursuit of absolutely adorable felted cats!

bumping for those who know the answer… :slight_smile:

“Pick up 13 sts”

Do I use the yarn I just joined and pull that through the cast on sts so the joined yarn is what makes the 13 picked up sts?

Do this. Picking up stitches is inserting your needle into a CO, a BO or the edge of your knitting and pulling the yarn through to make new stitches.

Go here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php - and scroll down to Assorted topics and you’ll find a video on how to pick up stitches.

sue

Thanks SO much!!!

:muah:

That’s how I ended up doing it in my obsessive need to continue the knitted kitty. Thanks for the link, I looked all over, but I never thought to look in that project area. Can’t wait to finish my cat and post a pic!!