How do I learn to Knit with Graph?

I would LOVE LOVE to learn how to put my daughter’s favorite Sesame characters on a blanket but I have no idea how to follow a chart or graph.

Is there any step by step instruction or site I can follow ?

Is it really that difficult?

Thanks all for your advice!!!

When you knit a picture from a graph, it’s pretty straight-forward. The right-side rows (knit) are read from right to left, each box represents a stitch. The wrong side, purl rows, are read left to right.

The biggest challenge for intarsia knitting (which this is) is changing colors without making holes. Amy has video on how to change the colors so they twist on each row to prevent a hole.

Each section of color should have it’s own strand of yarn, too.

This site is all about intarsia, too.

Thanx so much for the clarification. I will definitely look into the video.

I’ll try to do my first pattern and see if I can make it.

So just to be clear when following the graph, when knitting RS, do I follow that whole first line and than when going to the second line of graph I follow from left to right… right? I think thats how you do it.

Thanks Again!!

Yes, you’ve got it right.

Remember that knit stitches are not square, so if your chart squares are, um, square, the final product will be distorted - you need rectangles for the chart.

Sarah

On the subject of intarsia, the video here shows how to twist the yarns so as not to make holes and how to keep each color seperate.

My question is. If there is a block of color in one place and a block of color somewhere else, are you cutting the yarn and starting over in the new area?

If so, for images like the aforementioned sesame characters, does this not cause dozens of loose ends that need to be weaved in? Is intarsia knitting supposed to be double sided or is there supposed to be a wrong side with lots of little tucked in ends?

Just curious before I one day try this :slight_smile:

If there’s a block of color in one spot and a block of the same color in another, use another strand. There’s not need to cut the yarn until you’re done with it.

And yes, the back of intarsia is not pretty and there are a lot of ends to deal with. You can weave them in as you go or leave it until the end. [size=1] Or let the inside look like spaghetti.[/size]

Thanks Ingrid!

One trick I’ve used successfully on patterns that are square is to do each line twice, once for Knit, once for Purl.

Would this also work if I were doing the double knitting heart pad project?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/heart-dk-hot-pad.php

Yes
its neat watching the pattern come out when doing the double knitting

ecb

Yes
its neat watching the pattern come out when doing the double knitting

ecb[/quote]

Great! As far as rows 3 on, since the instructions don’t mention how to do them, do I just follow the colors according to the chart? Sorry to ask a stupid question.

I used to view knitting from a graph to be INSANITY…until I did this:

Step 1: I make an enlarged photocopy of the graph.
Step 2: I use different colors of ink and highlighters to trace around the symbols/boxes (or fill them in)… that span more than one box. For example, the instruction for a cable that involves 6 stitches will span across 6 boxes. There will be different symbols within these 6 boxes that tell you that it is time to do a 3x3 frontwise cable. I will colorcode all of this particular 6 stitch combo throughout the entire graph with color eg. GREEN. Conversely, 3x3 backwise cables will be colored in with HOT PINK.

Before I ever start the knitting process…I color code all multiple stitch combinations. This greatly helps me to SEE the stitch combo clearly.
After a while…when I see GREEN…I know that a 3x3 frontwise** cable is coming! (**hold the next 3 stitches to the front…knit the next 3…then knit the 3 from the cable holder)

Well, it really really helps me! I rarely make mistakes using this method of pattern charting. It works for crosstitching, too.