How do I "K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1."?

I thought before I got to this row that I’d know what to do, but I can’t wrap my head around it.
The whole set of repeated stitches (exactly as written) is “P2. K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1. P2. K2. K2tog. K2”.
What does “K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1.” mean exactly?

OK, with any weird abbreviations there should be a key at the top or the bottom of the pattern. If you have a link to the pattern that would be of great help hun.:thumbsup:

I wish I could provide a link, but it’s from an old pattern (Beehive booklet), so it’s hard copy only. I don’t know if it’s British or what, and all it says about Wl.fwd is that it means “wool forward.” I don’t know how to do a k1 after bringing the yarn forward. Just don’t get it.

O ok, it’s a yarn over hun.

It is? The same pattern has w.o.n. and w.r.n., which I took to be yarnovers. So do all three instructions mean yarnovers?

Well, dang, ya got me there hun!! I’ve not heard of those before. Hmmm
I do know that this lady should be able to help you with those mysterious abbreviations. Just go hereand then to the “get in touch” and shoot off an email to her. Hopefully she’ll be able to tell you what the heck those mean.

Thanks! I think I’ll try that. By the way, I did try doing a yarnover where it says Wl.fwd, and did the rest of the stitches as written, and they do seem to fit the pattern, but I guess the proof of the pudding will be the next row. In the meantime, though, I’ll follow your advice!

Yes all three of those terms mean YO in British… :slight_smile: They’re different because the wlfwd (or yfwd) is done between 2 knit sts. The others are probably done between a knit and purl and/or purl and knit. They describe the action you do to the yarn - over the needle or wrap round the needle.

Wow, so all three instructions do mean basically the same thing. Thanks so much. I did send an email off to the Vintage Purls lady, but she will probably tell me the same thing as you, Suzee.
I’m so glad that most of the patterns I’ve dealt with so far have been much simpler to follow, but now I will be better prepared if I do run across these terms again.

Well, Morag at Vintage Purls was very nice and replied to my email, and yes, you are both right.
She sent me a link of these handy abbreviations on her website:
I like a lot of the patterns she has there, too. I’ve seen some already on Ravelry.

Please don’t EVER delete this forum posting. I also have a Beehive pattern book and when I come to these directions, I am stumped … it’s just too long in between doing the pattern. I have to look it up and am always led to this forum for the answer. THANK YOU!!

I think it’ll be around for a while, some really old threads show up when you google things. Most in the UK call all yarn ‘wool’, even acrylic or cotton, so older patterns use wool forward instead of yarn forward to denote a yo. I think there’s a couple of sites that explain the different UK terms, and Bernat uses them in their patterns I think. But you could also write the ‘translation’ in your pattern book, on one page or use a sticky note.

I WILL mark my pattern book this time. Last time, it was such a no-brainer, I thought I’d remember… Getting old… Glad you all are here!