How do I interpret a stitch chart when using circular needles?

I’m relatively new at knitting and have never used a chart before. I understand that one reads from right to left for row 1 and for the succeeding row, left to right, alternating thru the rows to the end. This is on straight needles. Can I correctly assume that this is NOT true when using circular needles? Do I read each row right to left since there is no turning of work using circulars? I like to “translate” into written instructions rather than read directly from the chart and I am stumped before I even pick up my needles! Your help will be much appreciated!

You are correct. Every row is read from right to left when knitting in the round.

Good question. To take it one step further…if the first row you read right to left, then the second left to right when working straight, but right to left when working in the round would you change any purl stitches to knit? So that it still comes out as stockinette?

Definitely reverse the sts, robyn. You’re only knitting on the RS, so you want them to show as knit sts.

That’s why charts are written to look as if you’re looking at the right side.

An empty box will be ‘knit on right side, purl on wrong side.’ If you’re working in the round, you’re always on the front, so it’s not difficult to follow the chart.

I appreciate your quick reply! I was ready to proceed when I noticed another hitch in my chart. It has dark colored squares that are designated as “No stitch”. Since they are at the beginning of rows, though not all, I thought they were because of decreases in prior rows and losing a stitch. On furthur inspection I see that this is not so. For example, row 1 & 2, using circular needles, the pattern reads “P1, K5, P6, K5, P1”. Row 3 reads “No stitch, P1-fb, K4, SSK, P4, K2tog, K4, P1-fb, No stitch.” Row 4 reads “P2, K5, P4, K5, P2.” This pattern is over 18 stitches. Does “no stitch” mean I slip the stitch without working it onto the right needle? I appreciate your patience. I may have overstated my problem but I wanted to make sure I was understood!

No stitch means to do nothing. It’s a holding place in the chart to keep it square, but later or previously there’s a stitch in it.

Just act as if they’re not there because, well, they’re not. Skip over the no stitch squares and do what’s beyond them.

Suzeeq and Ingrid thank you!