How did you learn to knit?

I’m new to knitting and this forum. I’ve wanted to learn to knit since I was a little girl watching Little House on the Prairie and finally at 33, I took my first knitting lesson this past Saturday and I’m hooked! I was trying to sneak in rows at work today :heart:

I’d like to know how you learned to knit. The thing I’m most curious about is how you learned to troubleshoot, and the “tricks” like how to fix a dropped stitch and the things you just can’t learn in an hour-long class.

I’ve often wished I knew a knitter I could learn from, but I don’t know any, so I have to learn a class at a time and by reading sites like this one.

I look forward to learning here.

Hello Moonflower,

I am a brand new knitter. I have only been knitting a couple of weeks and I learned on this site. They have some great video that show you everything from casting on all the way to dropped stitches. They have advanced techniques and everything. This is an amazing site to start with.

I have already knit a scarf, baby booties and now I am working on a shawl. Good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful.

Happy knitting!:knitting:

How did you learn to knit?
I’ll let ya know if I ever learn. :rofl:

Seriously, I learned by a combination of Amy’s videos here at KH, and experimenting. Don’t be afraid to try things, experiment, and just knit. Who cares if it doesn’t come out perfect the first time? You learn from it and try again.

When I first joined here I was struggling to learn and frustrated by a simple ribbed scarf. Now I just knit my own stuff without using patterns. Ok, my stuff is ugly as heck, but it’s mine :rofl:

Ya dive in and ya learn.

I took my first class on Sat too. :slight_smile: But I got bored just practicing the knit stitch so I got on this site and looked at the videos and I’m now starting a dishcloth doing knit and purl stitches. I did make some mistake (I have NO idea what I did) and saw a hole in my work. I looked at the videos but I couldn’t make sense of how to fix it. I unraveled it but couldn’t get the project back on the needle so I just started over again.
I think with certain things (for me anyway), I need personal help. I have my second class next Sat. and I know they offer personal help certain days of the week for a price of 5.00.

Hello and welcome. I’m new to this site too and am loving it! I started knitting about 1 year ago but still consider myself a beginner. I learned how to cast on, and do the knit stitch, and bind off from my mom (that’s all she knows how to do) and the rest I’ve learned from this amazing site! If you have a question or problem, just post it here and some nice person, or 2, 3, or several (hee hee) will help you!

I bought a laminated page at the UPS store
then did a Google search for some help
and found this really neat websie called knitting help dot com
oh wait, THIS is that site

I also bought a TON of knitting books
and posted and talked to everyone i could find
I even found some knitting groups

ecb

I had a how to book and finally used it. Of course I had watched my mother :heart: for years so I’m sure that made it easier. I feel so fortunate to have someone to go to in reading patterns and showing me the stitches and the easier way to do some things. And the cost is zero!! I love this site also because I have learned a few things and I can get on line and see how to do stitches since I cannot always run back home.

I first learned how to knit/crochet when I was around 10 years. Learned from my grandma the English version. She was so fast in both.
Since then I have been doing items on and off. More so in the past 10 years. I am so hooked. It is relaxing and fun!!
I am making a lot of christmas gifts this year with knitting.
It always helps to learn from each other and I still am learning too.
Love to mess around with new stitches.

Thanks
Kathy

I learned how to knit here on knitting help and then reading lots. I’ve never taken a class.

I learned in High school from a How To book my mother had (she crocheted and I learned crochet from it too). I just figured out a lot of things on my own and what worked and what didn’t work. It helps to learn how to read your knitting so you not which stitch is which and when you’ve messed up.

I learned by reading the Stitch N Bitch book, watching the videos here, and of course, trial and error. Before I actually knit anything significant, I knit swatch after swatch, practicing different stitches, and, practicing picking up dropped stitches. That way I’d know how to take care of a dropped stitch before I actually had a WIP…lol

Hi! I took a knitting class a few years ago. I had always wanted to learn to knit, but no one in my family knits nor do friends. The class was an hour long for 4 sessions. We made a simple scarf. When someone made a mistake, she showed us how to correct it. I have lot of knitting books and use on line instructions that I use. I’m hooked now. At out local coffee shop, in the winter months, there is a get together once a week to knit and chat. Its great. That way there is always someone there to help out. I’ve made some knitting friends that way. I even taught my sister to knit and she has already made a scarf.

I learned how to knit in June 1984 from a pattern called “The Pride of Ireland”. I still have that ragged old afghan. After an on again/off again phase, I picked up knitting again in earnest in January of 2007 with a helping hand from knitting help dot com for techniques I had not even thought of attempting until now and haven’t stopped since… :smiley:

As for learning how to read stitches and “mistakes” that truly comes with experience. I just ripped 14 rounds from a cabled jumper that I am making for my husband. It took me two hours to pick up and reset all those stitches. Even with some experience under my belt it is still scary to have over 300 stitches free floating with a passel of kitties waiting to lay down on that warm pile of alpaca wool…:frog:

I’ve been knitting for almost 3 years now and I learned from my MIL, some friends, Knitty Gritty (it was on then) and mainly this site. Thank God for the internet! There is a wealth of information at our fingertips any time of the day or night. :slight_smile:

I learned mostly from KnittingHelp.com. This site is where I get all my help even now! :muah::heart::muah:

I learned from my mom when I was little, and had her to help troubleshoot. I also did a lot of re-dos, where I frogged and started over again. I became very good at casting ON because I started and restarted projects so many times. But I didn’t cast OFF nearly as often, so when I hit college and was trying to cast off a scarf, I had to get my grandma (who happened to be there for parents’ weekend) to show me how to do it.

The short answer - in person instruction.

I learned how to knit on pencils with my BFF (still my BFF) in the 5th grade. We made scarves.
kelly.

I learned when I was 8 from my Grandma… I only learned the knit stitch… I made a baby blanket for my baby brother…

Then about 7 years ago I picked it back up, but was really having a hard go at it and stopped again…

Then about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago I started again and found this site, at first I only found the videos, then I found this forum… and I’ve been hooked ever sense. I watched the videos over and over, even before I knew what a gusset was I had watch Amy knit it. I learned a lot just dong that. I also learned to watch how stitches are made. I messed around, making things that were simple.

Really it mostly takes time and trying new things. Cables used to look hard, so did color work and lace, now I prefer for something like that to be in the pattern so I don’t get bored. I have a few mindless knitting projects going but for the most part I don’t do a lot of those.

I would really encourage you to get Elizabeth Zimmerman’s book Knitting Workshop… she will have you working on stuff that you don’t think you can do. And there is a dvd that goes with it that’s wonderful too. Her writing is fun to read and will help you.

Glad you have joined us! Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!

Hi and welcome to KH!!

I learned to knit in 2005 after watching Amy’s videos here on KH. For learning how to correct mistakes though you gotta learn how the stitch works. Take some scrap yarn and follow a stitch and see how it works with the other stitches…knit a few rows and then remove the work from your needles and try to put the sts back on…or let one st drop and then fix it. Once you learn how the st works you can do anything. Don’t be afraid to try new techniques at all…remember it’s just yarn and can be fixed :thumbsup:

I bought the Boye learning to knit kit- then came here, read a lot, asked a lot of questions and watched the videos to figure out the drawings.

I learned how to fix dropped stitches by reading the Yarn Harlot’s blog- she had a tutorial on fixing things.

Now I have met some real life knitters at my church and a knitting group so I have people to ask when I need help- but I am finding more and more that I am able to help others- which is pretty darn cool.