How can I get symmetrical decreases?

I’m making this shell:http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTjewelled.html
I’m shaping the neck but having trouble getting the decs look symmetrical.
(Hope you’re able to see this image)
I like the look of the left side of the V- did k2tog.
On the right side, I’m dec the neck on the WS-P2tog. I don’t care for the look of that side as much.

Thanks!

A p2tog on the WS looks like a k2tog on the RS, so you should either be doing a p2tog tbl or ssp, or ssk on the RS. It’s easier to do the decs on the RS.

I’m hoping you can see the picture now.

That is what I aways thought, so why then do my decs look different?

You’re doing the same one essentially. There’s 2 ways to dec - so they slant toward the edge or away from the edge. To make them slant away from the edge you’d do a k2tog on the R neck edge (as you look at it) and ssk on the Left neck edge. To make them slant toward the edge you’d do them the opposite - ssk on the R neck edge and k2tog on the L neck edge. It looks like you did k2tog on both edges which makes them both slant the same direction. Do all the decs on the RS so you can see what you’re doing better.

Matching decreases are a pain in the neck! I sometimes do an SYTK which is an SSK with a twist. You’d do it on the front side of the work and it’s worth a try.

I tried a little sample and a p2tog tbl done on the wrong side rows matches the k2tog done on the right side pretty well.

It does? When I do it p2tog tbl looks like k2togtbl, aka a twisted ssk.

ssk is still my best bet to match k2tog.

For V-necks like that I sometimes do the decrease not at the corner but 2 stitches in from there. That makes the corner look nice and eaven. (that is like you knit it). But sometimes I do it right at the edge. It is worse a try.

Really? I don’t think they match all that well.

Don’t they? What do you use for paired decs Jan?

Well, they do work for paired decs, but the SSK always leaves that stitch that shows more. I tend to use SYTK because it’s a little less obvious. It might not matter on the edge right at the neck though.

@Jan: I was happy until I just got selfconcious about it now :smiley:
I will try the yank-thing. Might be a good fix.

My thai-top features the increase and decrease in the round as main features for the design. And there I think the 2 methods line up great.

Oh shoot! I hope that wasn’t my fault! :doh: You should do what you’re comfortable and happy with. :thumbsup:

If it’s part of the design then it’s probably fine. If it’s for shaping and is supposed to be rather invisible is when I have a problem. On the sweater I just finished I forgot to do the SYTK on the first few so I just continued with SSK and IMO it’s obvious. No biggie though, I’ll live with it and it is down the sides under the arm so I’m sure it’s only me who’s aware of it. :lol:

Oh that’s right, I remember you said that… my ssk/skp usually comes out okay, the sytk sounds too fiddly.

@Jan: I do not mind. Learning goes along with changing the comfort zone. And only if I am aware of something I can actually find out what I like better / best.
I will give the yank-thing a try. And then see. Hopefully I remember to let you know what I think of it.

I did check one sweater with a V-neck yesterday night after your post, and even when knowing what to look for: I still liked it :smiley:

Just don’t worry. It is hard to frustrate me after 30 years of learning knitting and more and more complicated and bigger and everything. I wasn’t too serious about it.

On the knit row, knit two together where 1st decrease is to be (right decrease), knit to where you want your second decrease then slip one stitch, knit next stitch, pass slipped stictch over knit stitch (left decrease)

@tenaj:
I used to use that one, too. But then I noticed visible differences with both decreases and since then I am using the ssk.
But as with Jan and me: everybody needs their own way. There is more than one way that works, and it does depend on the knitter and the yarn, too. Some “problems” only show in very tight or loose fabric. So, whatever you use: it IS good to know the options and you DO have the freedom to chose!

I used SSK for a long time, then learned the “improved SSK” where you slip 1kw, then slip the 2nd st pw, then knit them together. Lately I have learned the SYTK I think it is called slip, yank, twist, knit. It is not so fiddly once you understand it. I do find it an improvement over either SSK. I haven’t needed a SSK lately so I’ll probably have to look up how to do SYTK the next time I need it. :lol: But I do like it. If it takes a second longer it is worth it to me.