Hot pepper help please

Short of the long story is that I just cut some peppers to put in dinner that the hubby said were sweet … just licked my finger and their HOT !!! I’ve washed my hands like 3 times - how do I get the oil off my hands before I rub an eye or the puppy ?

Milk or vinegar should remove it. I personally think that vinegar works a little better, but either one should do the trick.

thank you - I did both just to be thorough !! I don’t do spicey food so I was not pleased when my lips and tongue started burning.

I love spicy foods and cook with peppers quite often and have used vinegar a number of times.

I would suggest in the future that you wear latex gloves any time you handle peppers or onions while cooking. Much easier than accidentally getting either in your eyes with a careless wipe.

I agree with Mason - you can even use the plastic bags that produce comes in if you’re in a pinch. Anything is better than nothing. Once I chopped up a serrano pepper bare-handed and promptly scratched my eye. Oh, the pain! It hurt for hours.

my hubby and I have an understanding - when he is in the mood for spicey food he cooks !! I have never cut a hot pepper before - if I am going to divide a meal I am making and heat it up for him I used bottle chili paster or red pepper flakes.

Should I also scrub the cutting board with vinegar ? It’s too big for the dishwasher.

thanks for the help. My hands are great now !!

Umm… my daughter’s ex told me once that he had the oil on his hands and went to the restroom without realizing it…and it burned a very sensitive area. :shock::passedout:

The problem is the name. They do say sweet, which confuses a lot of people.

Often they are listed as just “sweet peppers” in restaurants, condiment aisles and similar.

They aren’t “sweet” unless you like spicy hot foods.

I don’t know the answer but I have a hot pepper story. :teehee:

Once I was trying to make “spice soup” from books by Terry Goodkind (yes, I’m a nerd that way). I found a recipe on the internet that called for lightly cooking a hot pepper in oil before adding the other ingredients. It said to throw the hot pepper away after seasoning the oil, which should have been a hint. I went out and bought one habanero pepper for the soup. I cooked it for a long time in the oil, until it was limp…

No one got to eat the soup because I threw it away after I tasted it and almost passed out.