Hope someone can help with this pattern, very confusing?!

hi, i am new to the forum here at knitting help but i am already a big fan! i hope someone out there can help me with a pattern i am having trouble reading…
i found a pattern that asks for the chevron pattern and i am having trouble understanding what it all means?? i tried to give it a shot but it didn’t look anything like it should, so i took it out.
here is the excert from it… i underlined the bits that never worked out for me and i am having trouble understanding.
Row 1:(right side) knit 1, [U]slip, slip[/U], knit, *knit 9, [U]slip 2 stiches individually purwise[/U], knit 1, purl 2 stitches and [U]pass slip stitch over[/U]; repeat from * to last 12 stitches, knit 9, knit 2 together, knit 1
Row 2: knit 1, *purl 1, knit 4, ([U]knit 1, yarn over, knit 1[/U]) all in next stitch, knit 4, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 1, knit 1.
Repeat rows for whole pattern.
i hope there is someone out there who has a few minutes to help me out with this, i would greatly appreciate some advice!
thanks!
RR

Slip slip knit or SSK is slip 2 sts individually, then knit them together. It’s also the same as slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped st over the one you just knit.

The next one, after the k 9 is a little confusing or you’ve typed it wrong, because it’s not making sense. So I’m not sure what’s going on. If you have a link to the pattern, that will help.

On row 2, you’re going to increase in 1 st, making 3 out of it. Knit into a stitch, but leave it on the needle, wrap the yarn around the right needle and knit into the stitch again.

Hi Robin, welcome! :slight_smile:

“slip, slip, knit” is usually a decrease. “Slip” means move one stitch from your left needle to right needle without actually knitting it. In this case, put your right needle into the stitch as though you would knit it, but don’t knit it, just move it over to the other needle. Do this twice, then you’ll put both of those stitches back onto your left needle and knit them together with your right needle. The point of all that maneuvering is that it turns the stitches around so that your decrease leans to the right, instead of to the left. If you just knit them together (k2tog) without slipping them first, it would lean to the left.

The “slip 2 stitches individually purlwise” bit doesn’t really make sense to me- are you sure you typed that out right? It means to move the stitches over to your right needle like you did before, but this time grabbing them as though you were going to purl. That moves them over without turning them around. PSSO (pass slipped stitch over) is another decrease where you slip one stitch, knit or purl the next, then “bind off” the slipped stitch by passing it over the knit or purled one. But the line as you typed it doesn’t make sense to me. Hopefully someone more experience will be able to help you with that if it’s typed correctly.

The next underlined part is an increase- you’re making 3 stitches out of one. Knit the stitch, but don’t drop it off your left needle. Do a yarn over, then knit the same stitch again, then drop it off your left needle and continue on.

OK, row 1 you knit one, slip one (move it to your right needle without actually knitting it