Hooded Cowl SOS

I found this great cowl pattern that seems really simple, but of course now I’m stuck (pattern below). I’ve made it to the decrease round and have 42 stitches on my circular needle. The part I’m unsure about is where it says that I will be switching to rows and no longer knitting in the round, but it doesn’t say to use the spare needle yet, it says to turn the work (does that just mean turn the whole piece inside out?) and then work the 2 rows until it measures 21".

So does that mean that I starting knitting the rows using my circular needle as if it was a regular needle and then my spare needle? In my mind this creates a flat piece, I think? Then when I spit the rows in half in my spare needle and sew them together it “bends” the flat piece around the head?

Help!

Now, you will begin working in rows and not in the rnd. Turn your work so that p sts are facing you. You do not need the st marker anymore, so go ahead and remove it. Work as follows:
Row 1 (WS): Sl 1, K2, p to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 2 (RS): Sl 1, k to end of row.
Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 21” from CO edge.
Place half the sts onto the spare needle-21 sts on each. Work Kitchener st to neatly join the 2 halves together.

Welcome to the forum!

You want to turn the work as if you were at the end of a row. If you want you can turn it inside out . You’ll start the WS row (not round anymore) by working the stitches that you just finished knitting. I’d leave the marker on for this first row as a reminder of where the row ends. After the first row or 2 it’ll be very clear that there’s a gap at the turn.

You won’t need the spare needle until the very last step, the Kitchener graft.

Can you edit your post please so that the entire pattern isn’t shown. You’ve described the problem very well. We can get into copyright problems when large portions of patterns are posted here.