Holes in my handwarmers (increases)

I am knitting these handwarmers. This is the first time I’ve ever made any.

For the increase rounds, the pattern says to “m1=insert left needle in top of loop just below next st. knit loop

I am fairly certain I did it that way, but I have a little diagonal row of eyelet looking holes going up the thumb on each side. Hers in the picture do not appear to have them. What did I do wrong? :??

For the M1 increase, there are two ways to do it, whether you want right slanting or left slanting – your pattern doesn’t specify which so that part probably doesn’t matter, but to be sure you are doing it correctly…if you are picking up the strand from front to back, you have to knit the strand through the back loop (this is a left slanting increase), and if you are picking up the strand from back to front, you have to knit the strand through the front of the stitch (this is a right slanting increase). Amy has videos of both of these increases on this page, called M1R and M1L.

Hope this helps.

In other words, twist the stitch you pick up to M1, then there’s no hole.

sue

I did read Amy’s description for the M1 before I knit that part of the handwarmer, and I thought I understood what it meant, and that I was doing that. However, I did not take time to view Amy’s video (which I’ve done before, but a very long time ago). That must surely be where I made my mistake, in not “twisting” the thread.

As much as I hate to, I’m going to frog the handwarmer. I can live with some mistakes, but a handwarmer, intended to keep a hand warm would hardly be so if full of holes…sigh. :frog:

The bright side is that it was a quick knit, so not too much time was wasted.

Thank you, ladies, for your help. :hug:

However you pick up the bar, knit into the little loop, not the longer strand.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, Ingrid, but am guessing it will be made clear when I view the video? :??

I should have been more specific. When you pick up the bar from front to back, for example, there is a longer strand in the front of the work–I suspect that you knit into that and that’s why you got the hole.

At the back of the needle, where the yarn is around the needle, there is a smaller loop, tighter on the needle. It can be a real PITA to knit into, but it doesn’t leave a hole.

That doesn’t sound too clear either. Yeah, a look at the video might be better. :rofl:

I am going to view the video before I start working on it again, Ingrid, but I do believe I understand what you’re saying. :figureditout:

I just watched the video. WHY oh why didn’t I watch it before I knit this? :wall:

I totally get the part about twisting the stitch now. :figureditout:

Off I go to frog back to the beginning of the increases. :frog:

:cheering: :cheering:

:mrgreen:

Just be careful not to twist it twice.

Yeah, there’s always something to watch out for… :smiley:

sue

Thanks for the tip, Sue! :slight_smile:

After frogging, I reknit one handwarmer last night, and the increases part turned out great-no holes! :cheering:

Now I have to watch Amy’s video to learn how to do a k1p1 (rib) bind off. :shock:

You just knit the knits and purl the purls as you bind off–nothing special.

I haven’t yet watched Amy’s Knit-One Purl-One Bind-Off video , but the paragraph description beside it’s link makes it sound more complicated than that. :??

This is a bind-off for K1 P1 ribbing. I almost didn’t include it on this site, because sometimes a video can be harder to learn from than written instructions. But I think I did a pretty clear job of it… The video is in two parts, and includes audio instructions. 6-8 MB each.
:help:

This is the only one I ever do. I didn’t know there was something more complicated out there. I think this one will do you just fine.

Well, that way certainly looks much simpler, though I’m confused as to why there’s also a more difficult method available. :??

That video lacked sound, and Amy knits like a bat out of…well, she knits fast. :noway: Just to get this straight; I just bind off in a normal manner, but knitting the knit stitches onto the right needle from the left, and purling the purl stitches onto the right needle from the left?

I’m sorry to be such a bother, but I sure appreciate the help I’m given. :oops:

Yup, I do regular bind-off, knitting the knits and purling the purls. When lifting the stitch off, sometimes it is easier to do so with the yarn in back.

I don’t know what the purpose of the other bind off is, but if it involves a threaded needle, I avoid it as much as possible. :shifty:

if it involves a threaded needle, I avoid it as much as possible.

That’s my motto, too! :thumbsup: