Holes from joining the gusset

Hey everyone! I’ve knit a few pairs of socks now (I’m on my third pair, not including a pair of baby socks). I usually get a small hole where I join the heel flap to the top of the foot, and I learned how to use duplicate stitch and kind of close it up.

I’ve heard some people say that they pick up extra stitches where the hole would be, and that helps close it up without having to stitch it later.

My question is, if I picked up extra stitches, would I still decrease normally and just keep repeating that little section of (decreasing round, knit even round) longer OR would I do the extra decreases all at once?

I think doing the extra decreases all at once might make it look weird, because the even decreases in the gusset are actually very pretty. But if I just repeat that decreasing section over extra rows, it might change the fit of it? It probably wouldn’t alter it enough to make a real difference, but I figured I’d check to see what you guys thought.

Thanks so much for your help! :notworthy:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]I just do the decreases normally until I have the number of sts I CO with or the pattern calls for. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]IMO, the number of sts one picks up on the heel flap is not really that important as long as it’s within the ball park of the number the pattern suggests, which generally is the same number as half the number of rows on the heel flap.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I agree with yarnlady. Just decrease normally. I’ve knit three pair of socks this way and they don’t look any different. You’re are only picking up one or two extra stitches, so it’s nota huge difference in the number of decreases you’ll have to do :slight_smile:

Thanks, everyone! That’s what I was thinking, but it’s nice to have reassurance from double-checking. :happydance:

have you seen grumperina’s tutorial on picking up stitches the pretty way? it’s really helpful!

Ooh, that’s so helpful! I was hoping there’d be some trick to make picked up stitches look prettier. Thank you, thank you, thank you :muah: