Holes at the edges of kitchener stitch

What the heck am I doing wrong?!? So far, every time I have finished a garment with kitchener stitch, unless it’s a sock I end up with holes at either end of the seam! This has happened with two sweaters (where I had kept underarm sts on holders and then seamed them together with kitchener) and three pairs of baby/toddler pants (at the crotch, where I had kept gusset sts on holders and then seamed with kitchener). I have watched the kitchener stitch video and looked at numerous pictures and diagrams. I do the knit-off-purl, purl-off-knit, thing, tightening up as I go. But no matter what, I end up with two holes that have to be darned (which I don’t really know how to do, so it never looks particularly good).

Anyone have any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Try doing two “set-up” stitches before beginning your “knit off purl, purl off knit”.

To do this:
With your darning needle, purl into the first stitch on the front needle drawing yarn through and do not remove it. Then, knit into the first stitch on the back needle drawing yarn through and do not remove it. Make sure you keep your yarn under both knitting needles.

Then continue with the Kitchener stitch as usual, working those first two stitches a second time with “knit off purl, purl off knit”.

At the end of the grafting row, your last stitch on the front needle will be “knit off”; the last stitch on the back needle will be “purl off”.

Note: Make both the set-up stitches and the last two stitches at the end of the grafting row snug.

Anyone else have any ideas for us?

Thanks, Denise - the thing is, I already do the set up stitches and I still have the holes. Maybe I’m not making them snug enough? Will keep working at it. :??

Are you working with an even number of stitches? Are you using the same yarn that is attached to the fabric?

Even number of stitches, yes. Yarn attached to the fabric, yes and no. Sometimes I have (in which case I end up with a hole only at the end of the seam where I end) and sometimes I haven’t (in which case I have a hole on both ends). So I guess half of my problem could be helped by making sure I use yarn attached to the fabric…