Holding your yarn

Could you send me pictures of how you hold the yarn in your right hand? I am teaching a class…and I KNOW I do it “unconventially”…and want to teach the “right” way…

TIA

From what I’ve seen and heard, there is no right way or wrong way. You do whatever is most comfortable for you. I’ve never EVER wrapped my yarn around my fingers. When I first started crocheting, I simply held the yarn {or thread} lightly in my left hand with my ring finger and pinky controlling the tension with how tightly I gripped it. Now that I knit, I do the same thing since that is what feels comfortable. Other than typical newbie gauge issues, I’ve never had a problem with my tension.

I think Nicole is right: there is no “right” way as long as you create a workable tension, one that feels comfortable and allows the yarn to flow nicely. I’ve crocheted forever, and use the same method for knitting: wrap the yarn around my pinky, then over my index finger, controlling the movement of the yarn with my pinky and ring finger (close them to stop movement, open them to allow it).

I think Amy holds hers the same way…I know she demonstrates it on one of her videos, maybe one of the ones for casting on?

I agree. I started holding my yarn, years ago, the way my only book said to do it–weaving the yarn between my fingers. I’ve evolved over the years to wrapping it around my hand and fingers in a way that works for me. I don’t know if it would work for anyone else.