Holding yarns when alternating colors every other switch?

I would like to learn a clever technique for holding my two yarns and switching from one to the other quickly when I have an ABAB color pattern. I am holding my yarn in my left hand, and I would like to know how to do this with purl and knit. TIA.

There are a few different ways of holding two colors of yarn and
alternating them:

You can hold one color in your left hand and one color in your right
hand and basically switch between english and continental knitting.
A good technique to learn :slight_smile:

There is also a tool called a knitting thimble that slips over your finger
and has some holes in it to run the yarn through so that you hold the
yarn in one hand and the thimble keeps them seperate. I’ve tried
using one and could never get the hang of it but some people love
them!

There is also a technique in which you loop the first color over your
index finger and the second over your middle finger and keep them
seperate that way. I can’t do this one because I move my middle
finger when making a stitch! :slight_smile: I think the video on this website that
is demonstrating double knitting shows this technique.

You should just play around with it and see what works for you!

Libbie

I use a tech whereby I wrap both colors on my right index (I work English) and just manipulate the position of that finger so the ndl can grab whichever color I need. I find this easiest for maintaining the same tension for both strands. When I have diff strands on diff fingers one strand ends up looser. There’s a thread on Rav (Fair Isle group?) discussing all the diff ways ppl strand. Many different variations and pretty much a matter of finding what works for you.

cam

I use one color in each hand. I learned here - Use IE to view.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm

Thanks, Libbie-

I realized that the answer lay lower down on the video page-I’ve been using the two-finger method on the left hand, and aside from laying the foundation for middle-finger arthritis, it is working really well. I’m surprised that I could learn this new trick. I think it has something to do with the unorthodox way I knit.

Paci

That’s how I do it.