Hmm, what did I do? Afghan problem

I’m knitting an afghan. The pattern is k5, *k1, YO, k4, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, k4, YO, k1. Repeat from * to last 5 stitches. k5

Well, on the last row, I ended up with only 4 stitches left to knit. I’m not sure how to figure out what I did wrong, because it all looks fine to me. Clearly it isn’t. Stupid Verizon calling and distracting me. :grrr: Any suggestions?

It’s very possible that the error occurred on the previous right side row. If you missed a yo and then purled the wrong side, you’d be short a stitch but it wouldn’t show up until this row.

So should I just go ahead and unknit a couple rows? Or is there another way to save it?

It’s hard to say because it all depends on where the error occurred. If the pattern still lines up, you might be able to just add a stitch.

The reason I suspect that this is where the error probably occurred is because I’ve done it so often. :shifty: I usually unknit the row, and then unknit the purl row and then the previous row until I’ve found the error. If it’s a missed yo, you can just pick up the bar where the yo is missing and treat that as the yo.

Sigh. That sounds pretty darn close to the first afghan I ever completed. It took me WEEKS just to get the first 30 rows done because of that very problem - this was long before i learned about lifelines.

What worked for me was to put a marker after every 2nd repeat of the pattern (yes, it’s a lot of markers lol). That way when I got to the end of a pattern row I could quickly and easily go back and make sure that i had all the necessary sts before going onto the purl row. kwim?

Your best bet will probably be to tink it back a bit.