Hi! I'm new to this forum and to knittting. Need help with pattern!

[FONT=“Arial Black”][SIZE=“4”]:pray:[/SIZE][/FONT]What does SSK mean in a patern and how do you do it?

Welcome to the best knitting forum!! SSk means slip a stitch to your right needle, slip another needle to your right needle and then knit the two together. unless the pattern says otherwise, you usually put your rt needle in the stitch to be slipped as if your are going to purl it and just slide over onto the needle. If this is as clear as mud check out amy’s tutorials, I am sure she has a better way of explaining it. good luck!!!

SSK is one way of decreasing stitches. SSK means slip slip knit. So you slip the next stitch off your needle as if to knit, then slip the next stitch off the needle as if to knit and then you insert the left needle into the front loops of the slipped stitches and knit them together from this position (through the back loops)

You can see how to do this in Amy’s video: SSK

Hope this helps!

Susan

Oh, and even cooler ( I just discovered it myself!) is the SSK improved where you slip one stitch knitwise and the next stitch purlwise and then knit them together. Amy says it lays flatter – I’m going to give it a try the next time I need to use a SSK. Amy’s never steered me wrong yet!

Best,
Susan

It’s also like slip 1, k1, pass slipped stitch over the knit st. There’s a very subtle difference, it depends on how loose or dense the gauge is, but they lie/lay pretty much the same.

sue

It SO does lay flatter! :slight_smile: i love that technique, even if a pattern says to slip both knit wise, i NEVER do! :slight_smile:

I don’t like that the 2nd stitch is twisted though…

sue

no, me neither. I never use the improved ssk.

I never remember to do it with the 2nd one purled… :oops: I tend to go off to my own world when I’m knitting, :knitting: that’s one of the reasons I like it so much!