Hi, i'm new here, and knitting?

Hello everyone,
I am knitting a v-neck sweater for my son. I am using super bulky yarn. I am trying to figure out how many should I cast on using a size 9 nds. He is 8 1/2 yo. Unfortunately he’s not here I 4 me 2 measure. I misunderstood the directions and should of used chunky. Does any have any ideas?

Thanks,
bookworm

You don’t have a pattern? If not, try looking at the children’s sweater patterns on lionbrand.com using yarn of similar weight. (You could also check knittingpatterncentral, garnstudio.com, bernat.com.) Perhaps some insight.

cam

Once you figure out the measurement for the chest (can you measure a shirt or sweater that fits him?) then see how many sts/inch you get, multiply by the inches you need and that will be the total number of stitches for both the front and back.

I don’t know if this will help, but here is a raglan sweater generator that basically gives you the number of stitches based on your gauge: Sweater Generator

I am assuming you have a basic pattern but are not sure how that compares (and therefore how many stitches to cast on) with the yarn you have.

I would knit a swatch with the yarn and needles you have to get the gauge. (cast on twenty or so, knit for a few inches then measure one inch in the middle, count the number of stitches and rows in the inch, this is the guage).

then i would measure an item of clothing that he already owns that is a similar size and fit to what you want to knit. You then multiply this number buy the guage to get the number of stitches you will need.

So if you guage is 4 stitches per inch and you meause the circumfrence of a sweater as 30 inches then you would want to cast on 120 (4 x 30) stitches to get the right circumfrence for the sweater, if knit in the round, or 60 for the front and 60 for the back of knit flat.

So if you guage is 4 stitches per inch and you meause the circumfrence of a sweater as 30 inches then you would want to cast on 160 (4 x 30) stitches to get the right circumfrence for the sweater, if knit in the round, or 60 for the front and 60 for the back of knit flat.

I think you typoed - should be 120 sts - 60 for the front and 60 for the back.