Herdy Cushion

a

Hi, I’m currently knitting the cushion and I’m at the blue highlighted part of the pattern - I’ve joined in the yarn, but I’m confused with the K23 A
Next row - P23 A etc… instructions, as there are 54 sts? I’m a relatively new knitter and I’m confused - any help is welcomed - thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!
That is such an adorable pattern.

Knit as directed om the chart row 1 with the contrasting color and background color and then finish the row by knitting 23sts in the background color, turn at the end of the row and purl 23 with the background color and then work the chart row 2 across the remaining sts. The chart usually reads right to left on right side rows and left to right on wrong side rows.
Here’s a video for intarsia which is also given in the pattern notes.

Hello, I’m afraid I’m still confused!!! SORRY!!!

The chart could have had 23 extra sts which would always have been knit with the background color and 31sts of the design in bkg and contrasting colors. Instead, the designer chose to tell you to work the chart across 31sts then finish the row by knitting 23sts in the background color (54sts total).
It may help to take it step by step working the sts on the needle. Work the chart with the two colors then finish the row by knitting 23sts in bkg color to the end of the row. Then turn and work 23sts in the bkg color then work across the chart.