Help?

Okay so I’m learning how to knit… I’ve been trying to do this since I was 16 (But gave up for a LONG time bcause I didn’t get it) and now I want to learn again. After about three weeks I figured out double cast on and I’ve been using that. Not sure if it’s right, but it LOOKS right. Anyways I’m attaching a picture (Not the best, from the cell but it works)

Also for some reason the videos don’t work for me so I’m having the hardest time figuring out how to knit. I THINK I get it, but it looks odd, so I don’t know if that’s it. I also need to figure out how to purl. I’ve been using a book but pictures don’t help… any help would be great!

From what I can see, your cast on looks fine. You’ll need to turn the needle around so that it’s being held in your left hand, and an empty needle in your right hand, in order to start knitting.

Aside from the videos on this site, another good place with clear illustrations on how to get started is found here.

Hope that helps.

xxx

Okay thanks… I looked at the site and I THINK I did something… A few rows… I lost them then got them back again. I have two more pictures… Sorry that they aren’t the best, once again they’re from my phone. The site helped. Do I just do that one step over and over again or that step and purl. I get confused lol

If you make every stitch of every row a knit stitch, you will end up with garter stitch. If you knit every stitch of odd rows and purl every stitch of even rows, you will end up with stockinette stitch. You can see pictures of these two basic stitch patterns here:

For practicing, you might want to start off with just the knit stitch for a while and then practice purling after you’ve got the knit down pat.

Looks like you’re making good progress though!

Okay thanks. That makes sense! I’m actually getting somewhere so you have no idea how thankful I am! :notworthy: It isn’t as hard as I thought it was haha.

Okay thanks. That makes sense! I’m actually getting somewhere so you have no idea how thankful I am! :notworthy: It isn’t as hard as I thought it was haha.

You can knit every row for a few rows, then purl every row for a few rows - they’ll both be garter stitch. Knit a row, purl a row, that’s stockinette stitch. Then after you get tired of that, alternate knit 1 stitch, purl 1 stitch across the same row. That’s ribbing. Then do what you want for a while and call it a sampler. :eyebrow:

sue

Try looking at this site to see if it helpss you out. I needed to have print instructions next to me when I was learning.

Lion Brand - Learn to knit