Help! Work all three sides?

Evening!

I just joined, though I’ve been lurking for a while. I taught myself knitting when I had pneumonia last year, although I’ve progressed to the ‘intermediate’ stage these days I suppose!

Recently my boyfriend and I adopted a soon-to-be three-legged dog, but I’ve been unable to find a one-legged sweater for when he is shaved naked for his surgery, so I am knitting one for him.

I’ve found the perfect pattern to modify for my purposes, and I have all of it figured out except for one particular section:

‘Working all 3 sides at the same time, work for ½ (1, 1, 1 ½ , 1 ½ )”’

I know that I need a set of double sided needles for this pattern, but do I use them here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That would work. You’d have 3 DPN with the sts on them, and you knit accordingly. Let’s say you’ve split the sts up evenly on the three DPNs. You use one of the DPN and knit all the sts off of one DPN, then use the freed-up DPN to knit the next sts and so on. You can also use 3 DPNs, but it makes things a little tighter and harder to maneuver. Check out the video http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
Look up small diameter knitting.

I think when you do this part you are making the holes for the front legs. In your case you would want to illiminate one of the legs. The pattern says:

Knit 5(6, 7, 8, 8), Bind off 5(5, 6, 7, 8), knit to last 10(11, 13, 15, 16) Bind off 5(5, 6, 7, 8) , knit to end
Working all 3 sides at the same time, work for ½ (1, 1, 1 ½ , 1 ½ )” or length of the orange line
Knit 5(6, 7, 8, 8), Cast on 5(5, 6, 7, 8), knit 2nd section, Cast on 5(5, 6, 7, 8) , knit to end.

On the first part:

Knit 5(6, 7, 8, 8), Bind off 5(5, 6, 7, 8), knit to last 10(11, 13, 15, 16) Bind off 5(5, 6, 7, 8) , knit to end
What I picture happening here is that you are making holes for the legs. K 5(6 or whatever), bind off 5 (6 or whatever) for the first leg hole. Then knit until there are 10 and then bind off for the other leg. So hold the sweater however it will go on the dog and leave the bind off out on the side where the dog will be missing a leg. So instead of having 3 parts here you will only have 2, from one edge of the sweater to the stitches bound off for the leg and then the rest of the way across the chest/ or tummy to the other side of the sweater. Then you want to knit those 2 sections straight for however many inches it is for the width of the leg hole and then cast the stitches back on where you bound them off to make the other side of the leg hole.

It reminds me of making a big buttonhole. Bind off when you get to the buttonhole (leghole) and then on the next row (in this case the width of the leghole) cast the stitches back on and continue knitting. To do this you can keep the stitches all on your longer straight needle or circular used flat, or however you’ve been working up till now. You will need to add another ball of yarn or work from the other end of the skein on the one side of the leghole. When you have made the depth of the leghole then begin to knit across the whole works again with only one yarn, casting on stitches for the leghole when you come to it. Now you have one piece again that you work back and forth across like you did earlier, but now it has a hole in it for the leg.

Then you go back later and pick up stitches all around the leghole with the double pointed needles and knit in the round to make the leg itself for the length you want it.

I think that is it anyway. You could do the two parts on the dpns if you want, but you are not working in the round at that point but working the two sides of the leg hole. If the dog had 2 legs in front you would have three parts: 1.the edge to the first leghole, a space for the leg, 2. then under the tummy to the next leghole, another space, 3. and from there to the other edge of the sweater.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks so much for all of the advice, that explains everything! I should be able to finish the project now. :smiley:

You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing this unique dog sweater in the gallery.