Help with too-stiff scarf

Hi! I wanted to knit a scarf for my mom for Christmas. I got about halfway through and noticed that it seems kind of stiff, like a more rigid rectangle, and it doesn’t seem like it will wrap around the neck very nicely. I guess I wasn’t using the right yarn or needles - I was using the Lion Brand Wool-Ease thick & quick yarn with size 9 (i think) needles. I think my stitches were probably too tight as well. At this point I don’t have time to start over with different yarn and needles (to get them where I live I’d have to order online, which wouldn’t leave me enough time before Christmas to actually make the thing!) so I am wondering if there’s any way I can make the scarf a bit more flexible/wearable once it’s done. For reference the material is 80% acrylic/20% wool. Thanks for any suggestions!

Needle size can vary not only with yarn weight, but with the way a person knits. You may knit tight so need larger needles. Unfortunately there isn’t a sure answer to this at this point. If you don’t want to start over with large needles you’ll need to just continue with the same ones so the two sides match. That yarn can be washed and dried and it may soften up. You can also wash and lay flat stretching the stitches so they are farther apart. Can’t guarantee it’ll work, but it should help.

What pattern or stitch are you using?