Help with this slipper sock pattern

I’m knitting a pair of Pebble Rib socks for my husband, and I’m stuck at one point in the pattern.

Here’s what the finished sock should look like:

Here’s what I have so far:

The wide part at the bottom is the cuff. The long portion in the middle is the instep. Per the directions, I “Rep Rows 1 & 2 until instep measures 8 inches, ending on WS row. Cut yarn.” I did that.

The next part of the directions is where I’m stuck:

[B]Row1 (RS): With RS facing, K9 sts from holder, pick up and knit 18 sts along side of instep, K12 sts from needle, pick up and knit 18 sts from other side of instep, K9 from 2nd holder (66 sts).[/B]

I just can’t wrap my brain around how to start knitting the sts from the holder, and picking up along the side, while my needles are still holding the sts at the top of the instep. I’ve tried a few ways, but it’s weird and awkward. Any help would be appreciated Thank you!!!

Just take a new yarn end and leaving a tail, begin knitting. Put another stitch holder or needle (can be a smaller one) where the 12 sts are, take the ones off the holder on the side and knit them, pick up the sts along the side, knit the 12 sts, then pick up the sts down the other side and knit the last sts on the other holder.

Well, don’t I feel silly! It didn’t occur to me to put those top sts on a holder. :oops: I’m so dim sometimes! Thank you!

The pattern doesn’t mention it because you’ll be knitting them very soon. You could just put them on another needle and that would be easier to knit off of than a holder.