Help with this dog sweater pattern.

So I’m new to knitting and I am working on a dog sweater. This is the first clothing item I have ever knit and I am struggling with the pattern. I managed ok until I reached the leg openings and I’m not really clear on what I am supposed to be doing and I would really appreciate some help and clarification.

Here are the instructions:

Leg Openings This is the part I am confused about.

Next row: (RS). Pat across 5 sts. Cast off 6sts. Pat across 47sts (including st on needle after cast off). Cast off 6 sts. Pat to end of row. What pattern?

Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. What does this mean? I don’t understand how I am working with 2 balls of yarn.

Work 1 1/2" [4 cm] in pat, ending with WS row. In what pattern? - The 2-row pattern before the leg opening? If so how does that work with the holes?

Joining row: (RS). Pat across 5 sts. Cast on 6 sts. Pat across 47 sts. Cast on 6 sts. Pat to end of row. (69 sts)

Continue even in pat until work after neckband measures 6 1/2" [16.5 cm],
ending with WS row.
Place marker at each end of last row.

Back Shaping
Cast off 7-9-13 sts beg next 2 rows. (55 sts) ??
Next row: (RS). ssk. Pat to last 2 sts. K2tog. ??
Next row: Knit.
Rep last 2 rows to 37 sts.
Continue even in pat until work after neckband measures 12 1/2 [32 cm], ending with WS row.
Leave sts on a spare needle.

Back Edging This part is also really confusing to me.
(RS). With RS of work facing and circular needle, pick up and knit 37 sts along body from marker to back. K37 from spare needle dec 1 st at center. Pick up and knit 37 sts along opposite side of body to marker. (110 sts)
Do not join in rnd. Knit 8 rows (garter st). Cast off.
Sew neck and belly seam.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Also - here is a picture of the sweater

I have added notes next to your questions in bold, Evie x

Back shaping - the numbers are for the different sizes, cast off 7 stitches for a small jumper, 9 for a medium etc. The next row is asking you to decrease again, slip slip knit at the beginning of the row, and then knit 2 together at the end of the row. Keep doing this until you have 37 stitches, leave these stitches on a holder. The it wants you to pick up 37 stitches from the fabric to the left of the holder, add the stitches from the holder (so they’re in the middle) but decrease a stitch in the middle - so pick up 17 stitches, k2tog, and then the rest of the stitches from the holder, after that pick up another 37 stitches from the work to the right of the holder.

Welcome!
On the leg openings, the pattern is k1p1 rib.
When you bind off sts for the leg openings, you’ll have 3 sections of rib stitches separated by 2 gaps for the legs. You’ll need 2 more ends of yarn (another ball or a yarn end from the other end of a skein) to work these 3 sections in the rib pattern. Look at the stitches in the rows below and make sure that you continue the pattern of knits or purls. Even though there are gaps, the rib pattern should continue in the areas in between.

Evie has explained the back shaping (thank you Evie). I think the rest may become clear as you get to it. If not, come back and ask.

I’d like to ask you to please edit your post to leave out the remainder of the pattern details. We run into copyright problems if we reprint whole patterns here. Just a link to the pattern or a few lines are ok.

I’m also working on the same pattern only I’m confused about that last step prior to the leg opening…"then on every following alt row to 55 (69-83-123)sts , taking Inc sts into pat.
Seems the Inc won’t be even on both ends

You’ll be increasing at each end of the row which will make the increases even on each side.

Oh thank you, I was about to give up, that makes more sense. Thanks again.

I’m having issues as well, the legs being worked separately, although I understand I need to use 2 balls of yarn for the legs, what about the center that been worked as well? Do I need a 3rd ball of yarn or how do I work it? Is there a video tutorial, perhaps?

You’ll need 2 additional ends of yarn, so 3 sources of yarn. That can be three balls of yarn or you could pull from both ends of a skein.

I’ll try that, thank you

On the back “edging” am I to work with two balls of yarn again?. Also, how do I “pick up” those stitches?

Only use one ball of yarn for the edging. Pick up so that you can knit across those held sts then pick up on the other edge.

We’d love to see a photo whrn you finish!