Help with the knitting pattern!

Can you please help? I am stuck from the first part actually…

I have a pattern starting like this;

Yoke
Cast 84 sts

The stitches of the neckline are now divided into shoulders, front and back. Place your stitch markers
as follows:

10 sts (half back piece), stitch marker, 1 central stitch, stitch marker, 20 sts (sleeve), stitch marker, 1 central stitch, stitch marker, 20 sts (front piece), stitch marker, 1 central stitch, stitch marker, 20 sts (sleeve), stitch marker, 1 central stitch, stitch marker, 10 sts (half back piece).

Your first row is a right-side (RS) row, and it is worked with increases by working k1, k1 tbl in stitches, as described in the following. Increases must be evenly distributed in their respective sections on the work, and they are placed as follows:

Each back piece: Make 4 increases. There are now 14 Sts on each back piece.
Each sleeve: Make 5 increases. There are now 25 sts on each sleeve.
Front piece: Make 4 increases. There are now 24 sts on the front piece.

where am I exactly supposed to make increases? If I do K1 and K1tbl increases, I would get more stitches than what it says? I mean… for example, I have 10 half back Sts, then where am I supposed to make 4 increases to make 14 all together since K1, K1tbl increase would give me more than 4 increases…

Your increases should be evenly distributed. For the 10 stitches in your back piece and your front piece you should knit a K1, K1 tbl increase every two stitches (that is you knit into the second stitch then you K1 tbl between the second and third stitch). For the 20 stitches in your sleeve section you should knit a K1, K1 tbl increase every four stitches (that is you knit into the fourth stitch and K1 tbl between the fourth and fifth stitch). That’s my understanding of it. Can anybody else clarify?

Yes, the increases need only be approximately evenly distributed (just not all in one spot). It sounds like the k1, k1 tbl are specifically described in the pattern but probably like a knit front and back (kfb) which is an increase in a single stitch. Each increase will make one additional stitch so 4 additional sts in each half back.

1 Like