Help with the collar directions

I´m working on this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/offset-wraplan cardigan and am a bit puzzled about the directions for the collar.

I´ve picked up the stitches I need and my first row ( K1 P1 ) was done on the right side. Now the next row ( also labeled row 1 ) is K20, K2tog etc. If it´s to look like mistake rib, which I´ve done on the sleeves and base of the cardi, shouldn`t the next row be done with purl stitches? I´m just wondering if my first K1 P1 row should be the wrong side of the cardi, leaving me prepared to do the next row in knits.

Any suggestions?

Karen

You should pick up sts with RS facing, then your k1,p1 row would be on the WS. I think. It’s early though, so I could be wrong.

• On RS, using circular needle, pick up CO edge stitches - 90 [114, 114, 114, 117, 126] stitches.
• Row 1: K1, P1 (end K1 if necessary).
• Row 1: K 19 [25, 25, 25, 28, 32], K2tog, PM, SSK, K 14 [20, 20, 20, 20, 20], K2tog, PM, SSK,
K26 [32, 32, 32, 32, 37], K2tog, PM, SSK, K 14 [20, 20, 20, 20, 20], K2tog, PM, K3.
• Row 3: repeat Row 1.
• Row 4: K to 2 sts before marker, K2tog, SM, SSK 3 times, K to 2 sts before marker, K2tog,
SM, end K2.
• Repeat Rows 3 & 4 until collar measures 1"

Here are your directions for the collar. I see your question. You’re right from all I can tell. You pick up on the right side, the next row, K1, P1 would be the WS then the next row would be a right side and it is telling you to do knits with decreases on that row.

The Mistake Rib said RS K1, P1; WS Purl. According to the MR pattern you should do the ribs on the RS and Purls on the WS. And this is saying K1, P1 on the WS and Knit on the right side. Something seems screwy here.

I also notice Row 3 says repeat row 1. Which row 1 do they have in mind since they have 2 of them? :slight_smile: I think it would be the first one, but still it is not written very well.

No matter how you slice it these directions do not have K1, P1 on the RS and P across on the WS. So maybe you don’t do the mistake rib on the collar. You could try just doing what it says and see how it turns out.

Hey, I got the idea that maybe mistake rib would work with Knit or purl on the second row and that is the case. So when you do what it says it should look like mistake rib. But with the purl the right side is on one side and with the knit it is on the other so the pattern should work just right the way it is written. LOL

OK Merigold, then what are you saying I should do? ( sorry, just got home from working nights, am on my way to bed, and a bit confused… :wink: )

When I get up later, I will try to frog back, do the K1 P1 as the WS and then the decrease rows as the RS. We´ll see how it goes.

Karen

What I am suggesting is that you do exactly what the pattern says and even though it seems wrong based on what you have done before with the mistake rib, I believe it is written correctly and will work out just right.

Try doing it just like it says and see how it works out. When it says to repeat row 1, repeat the row where you alternate knits and purls all the way across (the first row 1 it gives). I noticed that it says it may end in a knit or a purl depending on how many stitches you have after the decreases each time. Make sure as you do the K1, P1 rows that you are lining the knits over the knits you already have going and likewise the purls, so that ribbing is lined up and not all wonky.

When it says to repeat rows 3 and 4 what you will be doing is repeating a row of the ribbing and a row of decreases one after another.

I think doing what the pattern says will make the mistake rib look correct on the RS.

Actually, I was kinda wondering why they said about ending in a knit or purl… I´ve already frogged it, re-picked up the stitches and done the K1 P1. We´ll see how the rest goes.

Thanks for the help and the clarification. I had just gotten home from work and couldn`t quite get my head around what you were trying to say.

Here goes nothing!!! :out:

Karen