Help with sweater pattern

Hi. I am working on my first sweater. I finished the back and I am almost done with the front. It is an off the shoulder folded down collar almost like a turtleneck style but the collar is all the way off the shoulders. I am confused on the following directions

“Shape neck: Next row: K2. K2tog. K5 (neck edge). Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Purl 1 row.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next and following alt rows twice more, AT SAME TIME, cont dec at raglan edge as before on next and following alt rows until there are 2 sts.
Purl 1 row.
Next row: K2tog. Fasten off”

I did this so now have 8 sts on one needle and rem 56 sts on a separate needle. [size=6]Do I purl the row that only has 8 sts, or the 56 sts, or both?[/size]

Earlier in the pattern for “Shaping Raglans” I had to cast off 2 sts beg next 2 rows so I’m figuring I’m casting off 2 sts at beg of a row and every other row until there are 2 sts left. I’m just confused at to which parts of the row I do what to- the 8 sts or the 56 sts. To me, it seems they labeled the neck edge wrong—if I do the raglan dec 2 sts beg three times on the needle I have the 8 sts then I will get down to the 2 sts rem. If I do the raglan dec 2 sts on the needle with 56 then I will have to do many many rows to get down to 2.

So is it a mistake where they have neck edge? Where do I dec 1 st and where do I dec the 2 raglan sts? The pattern then goes on to slip the next 47 sts and pretty much repeating the dec 1 and dec 2 raglan sts for the opp side.

Thank you for your help. I hope I can understand it… I’ve worked very hard on what I’ve done so far. If I still can’t get it then I’ll probably go to the craft store and see if someone there can help me and when they are going to offer more knitting classes. Thanks!
Kristy

When they tell you to leave the remaining stitches on the spare needle it means you’re not going to be using them right now, so you’ll be purling across those 8 stitches.

The neck edge is next to the held stitches, so after the purl row you’d be at the raglan dec edge again. Dec your 2, work to the end and k tog the last two stitches. That will get you to 5. Purl across and then do the same thing again on the rs row and you’ll be down to 2.

Thank you, that was very helpful Ingrid!!! I really appreciate it!
Kristy