Help with Stockinette Stitch

Help! I am using metal needles…my stockinette stitch has these strange ridges every other row…what’s up with that??? Could it be the needles. Does anyone else have this problem. You can see definite lines every two rows when looking at my knitting.

Sounds like you might be knitting every row, which creates garter stitch fabric. To make stockinette, you should knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit a row, purl a row, etc.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

or miscounting and purling a knit row and vice versa… i did that with a sweater i was working on because i wasnt paying attention (stockingette stitch is very boring for me so i always have somethign else in the works whether it be reading or watching a movie)

No, I am knitting a row, and purling a row. I need to take a picture of it and post it. You can see definite horizontal lines, or ruts, every other row. I was wondering if it could be my needles…maybe tension problems.

I just recently asked this question myself. Its sounding like you are “rowing out.” If this is the case like it is mine, your purl stitch might be looser than your knit stitch. Or vise versa. You could find out by knitting 2 swatches both in garter stitch. One where you knit every row and the other where you purl every row. Which ever is bigger is the stitch that is looser.

Still working on a solution for my stockinette. My purl is more loose so I’ve been working on purling tighter (putting more tension with the hand I hold my working yarn with) and its helping some. Do a search for rowing out on google and I’m sure you’ll find possible solutions. You could also search these forums for my recent post on the subject. HTH :hug:

Could be rowing out as rissa said. If you are able to post a pic we might be able to help more.