Help with Rowan 'Holborn' by Martin Storey

Hi All! It’s my first time attempting a Rowan pattern and I am super confused about this segment:

Beg with a K row, work in st st throughout as folls: Work 2 rows, ending with RS facing for next row. Inc 1 st at each end of next and 3 [2: 0: 0: 0] foll 4th rows, then on 3 [4: 6: 5: 3] foll 6th rows, then on 0 [0: 0: 1: 3] foll 8th rows. 101 [113: 125: 139: 155] sts. Work 7 rows, ending with RS facing for next row. (Back should meas approx 28 [29: 30: 31: 32] cm.)

Can someone explain what’s going on here?

That must be a typo. It makes no sense. Look for erata sheet on the book or pattern you have. Or write to Rowan. I once had a Rowan book and the beautiful pattern on the front was definitely NOT done as described in the book. I managed to duplicate the stitch, but never knitted it because to do so would have taken much more of their expensive yarn than the book listed. Just too much money, even tho I had worked out the stitch & the shaping was super simple.

1 Like

What’s the name of the pattern? It might help to see a photo. And which size are you doing? It will be easier to explain without all of the different sizes being included.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

You’re going to be increasing at each end of the piece. With the RS facing, call the next row, row 1. For the smallest size, increase at each end of rows 1,5,9 and 13 (that’s every 4th row) then at each end of rows 19,25 and 31 (that’s every 6th row).
When there is a 0 or - or x for your size in a pattern, ignore the direction and proceed on to the next. So for the smallest size, work 7 rows without increases.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! @salmonmac

Your explanation makes sense, still wrapping my head around this. So for Size L, I would inc 1 on each end in row 1, then 0 increases until row 13, then increase on each side on rows 19, 25, 31, 37, 43, and 49, and then work 7 rows with no increases?

I’ve always had trouble with Rowan patterns and usually frog it once I hit a part like this, but I decided to try and figure it out for once! I should probably email them next time this gives me trouble

1 Like

Ok, L is the 3rd size. Call the “next” row, row 1. Increase at each end of rows 7,13,19,25,31 and 37. Then work 7 rows without increases. The stitch numbers will work with the pattern numbers (14 increased sts taking you from 111sts to 125sts).
Skip any direction that has a 0 for your size including the first 3 [2: 0: 0: 0] foll 4th rows and go directly to the 3 [4: 6: 5: 3] foll 6th rows.

Thanks Salmonac, even with your explanation it taxes my brain to see it like that. I must not speak Rowan.

1 Like

Some patterns and designers are just like that. I understand what you mean!

1 Like

Tumblr_l_56518958216614

I’m still greatly confused on how to parse it all, but I can now continue on thanks to your instructions!! Thank you salmonmac!!

1 Like

@salmonmac i must call on your guidance again :pray:

“Working all raglan armhole decreases as set by last 2 rows, dec 1 st at each end of 3rd [3rd: 3rd: next: next] and foll 0 [0: 0: 8: 18] rows, then on 8 [3: 0: 0: 0] foll 4th rows, then on foll 15 [26: 34: 32: 29] alt rows. 45 [45: 47: 47: 49] sts.”

Working for size 3 (L), what does that look like?

“Working all raglan armhole decreases as set by last 2 rows, dec 1 st at each end of 3rd and foll 0 rows, then on 0 4th rows, then on foll 34 alt rows. 47 sts.”

Decrease at each end of row 3 and then skip directly to the following 34 alternate rows. So that’s rowss 5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19, and so on until you get to 47sts.
Skip over any direction with a 0 for your size.
You’re making good progress!

I have done it! I am finally on the front, but I am again, thrown by the ‘foll’ instructions

“Inc 1 st at each end of 2nd [4th: 2nd: 2nd: 2nd] and 3 [3: 4: 3: 1] foll 6th rows, then on 0 [0: 0: 1: 3] foll 8th rows. 101 [113: 125: 139: 155] sts.”

“Inc 1 st at each end of 2nd and 4 foll 6th rows, then on 0 foll 8th rows. 125 sts.”

I find it helps me keep track by circling or highlighting the numbers for the size I’m making.
Decrease at each end of row 2 and then rows 8,14,20 and 26. When there is a 0 for your size, skip that direction and go directly to the next direction.
(start with dec on row 2 and then add 6 to the preceding number until you’ve added 4 times or you’ve reached the stitch count for your size)
You’re making good progress on this sweater!

1 Like

Did you mean increase for the row 2 adjustment?

So would it look like

Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: Inc 1 in first stitch, knit to last stitch, Inc 1, K1
Rows 3-7: Cont. st st
Row 8: Inc 2 stitches at first stitch, knit across to last stitch, inc 2 stitches, k1
etc.?

It’s not inc 2 stitches, just 1.

Increase 1 stitch each end of rows 2, 8, 14, 20, 26

Hope this helps

1 Like

I have the front somewhat finished, just need to do the neck

Dec 1 st at neck edge of next 4 rows, then on foll 0 alt row and at same time dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 2nd and foll 1 at rows. 4 sts - ???

Lovely, even knitting!
Dec 1 stitch at the nedk edge on rows 1,2,3 and 4. Skip the direction that has a 0 for your size.
Dec at the raglan armhole on rows 2 and 4.