Help with Ribbing increase on sweater

I have a pattern for a sweater that I’m working on, but don’t understand the increase from the base rib to continue. The pattern reads as follows:

Using 4mm needs, cast on and work 2x2 rib for 8cm.

Next Row:
Rib 6, (m1, rib4) 1 time, (m1, rib1) 0 times, m1, rib 7, (m1, rib1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib 4) 5 times, m1, rib 6, (m1, rib 1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib 1) 6 times, rib 7, m1, (rib 1, m1) 0 times, (m1, rib 4) 1 time, rib 6 times.

You should have 136 stitches.

OK … I JUST DON’T GET WHAT IT’S TALKING ABOUT!!! When it says to RIB x times, does this mean complete a full 2x2 rib each “time”??

I’m so confused!!

Next Row:
Rib 6, (m1, rib4) 1 time, (m1, rib1) 0 times, m1, rib 7, (m1, rib1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib 4) 5 times, m1, rib 6, (m1, rib 1) 6 times, rib 6, (m1, rib 1) 6 times, rib 7, m1, (rib 1, m1) 0 times, (m1, rib 4) 1 time, rib 6 times.

I notice a place it says (m1, rib1) 0 times. Did you write this out for your size, but there were other sizes given? When you come to the (m1, rib 1) 0 times skip that part. In fact you could cross that whole part out each time you come to it so that there will be less confusion. Cross out (m1, rib1) 0 times and (rib 1, m1) 0 times.

When it says rib 6 it means to do ribbing over exactly 6 stitches, not 6 sets of stitches or anything, just 6 stitches whatever the next 6 (or whatever number is given) stitches are in the ribbing sequence.

There are several M1s that will work in a situation like this. A M1 needs to be between stitches so that doing the M1 does not affect the stitch count. Sometimes I use a simple backward loop over the right hand needle. Another one that a lot of people like is where you lift the strand between the last stitch you worked and the next stitch on the left needle with the left hand needle. If you lift from the front, knit it through the back loop. If you lift it from the back, knit it in front. You want to twist the stitch as you knit it to close a potential hole.

It sounds like you started with 102 stitches. There are 34 M1s so that adds up to 136 perfectly. :thumbsup:

I want to thank you so very much for explaining this to me! It does make senly rib out the next X number of stitches and add the M1’s as written.

I truly appreciate your assistance on this!

:muah: Heather